FC 3.4
CC 0
pH 7.6
TA 120
CH 140
CYA 0

I added bleach, soda ash and some Stabilizer

Two questions:

1) did I screw up my pool by adding soda ash and calcium chloride at the same time? Can I recover from this?

2) I have been adding some stabilizer gradually (some in socks and some in the skimmer). I realize that it takes a week to register, how do I make sure I don't over shoot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hello! Your biggest concern right now (based on the readings) is that without any CYA, your FC is getting used-up by the sun really fast. Good you added some. We use the Poolmath calculator (link below) to figure out how much of a product to add based on your pool size. Until the CYA builds, keep your FC up to about 3-5. It probably went milky because you now have algae setting-in and will need to SLAM (link below). But you can't SLAM until your CYA is at least 30. So for now, it's just best to keep it from getting any worse by adding liquid bleach each day/evening to hold a temporary FC level just to keep things from getting worse.

Once your CYA is close to 30, start the SLAM procedure immediately. Let us know if you have any more questions. Have a great day!

Question: are these readings before or after additions?

If these are before, you didn't need the Soda Ash and your pH is too high which, combined with Calcium Chloride, can make it precipitate and get cloudy. Let things mix well and recheck pH and add acid.

If these are after, just wait. It should clear up with time. Open a can of
attachment.php

As far as CYA, what did you target and how much did you add? Without knowing the pool volume, there's really no way to know if you overshot or undershot or hit it right on the nose.

Hi. Thank you. I have working against these levels.

Plaster with SWG
FC 3-5 (See chart) I am 3.4
pH 7.6-7.8 I am 7.6
TA 60-80 I am 120
CH 300-400 I am 140
CYA 70-80 I have no idea but it is sub 30 on my test and Leslie's says it is 0

These readings were before I added:

37oz bleach
16oz ash
100oz stabilizer

I have added chemicals previously.

I added about 188 oz by volume of stabilizer in socks while I filled the pool. I had a problem with a valve that led me to run a hose for 8 hours while the valve diverted water into my back yard so some of that was lost. I have since added 228oz into the skimmers (100 of which I just added).

I also added bleach, soda ash and some calcium chloride previously. I have been careful about how much I added (and used tests and the pool math calculator) but I haven't kept great records.

My advice is to wait a few hours with the pump on and let everything mix well and then recheck pH. Most likely it will be too high again, and you'll need to add acid to lower it, effectively cancelling out the soda ash. Your TA was already above the recommendation, so you shouldn't have added more via the soda ash.

The problem is micromanaging the water. You were at 7.6 pH. That's within the recommended 7.6>7.8 and the high TA would guarantee it would rise on its own fairly quickly. The soda ash was completely unnecessary. Your CYA amounts shouldn't push you too high, but that will just have to wait a few days to get tested.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok.

FC 1.5
CC 0
pH 7.2
TA 110
CH 275
CYA 45
Salt 3000

I will definitely add 154 oz of 8.5% bleach.

Should I add the soda ash to increase the pH or will the high TA drive it up on its own?

I am inclined to wait until Saturday to add more stabilizer and give the stabilizer I added last week /last weekend work.

Ok.

FC 1.5
CC 0
pH 7.2
TA 110
CH 275
CYA 45
Salt 3000

I will definitely add 154 oz of 8.5% bleach.

Should I add the soda ash to increase the pH or will the high TA drive it up on its own?

I am inclined to wait until Saturday to add more stabilizer and give the stabilizer I added last week /last weekend work.

Your pH is already in range. The TA will push it up. If you raise it now, you'll just need to add acid sooner to get it back down.

Ok. I keep seeing 7.6-7.8 for plaster SWG pools.

Yes, you do. And you also see TA 60-80. How do you plan to lower yours? I'm guessing you'll add acid to lower pH to 7.0>7.2... which is exactly where you're at already. Why add a chemical to raise pH and then add another to lower it? That's pool-store madness. pH will rise all by itself and then you can lower it again with acid and repeat the process until TA is down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.