Water in spa always drops during freeze protection

Bvacchiano

Silver Supporter
Apr 6, 2018
Sugar Land, Texas
When my freeze protection kicks in my water in my spa always drops. When I wake up in the morning the water level is down to the jets. I have to manually go out and shift the return valve to Spa so it will fill back up when it flips back to Pool. Is this normal? Is there a way to fix that? Should I just set my Spillway circuit to freeze protect?

Like yours , my freeze protection has been kicking on and running all night. Mine will run for 30 minutes in spa mode and 30 minutes in pool mode. Depending how long the freeze protection runs for , my elevated spa will drain down into the pool. What happens is when it switches between spa and pool , the pump shuts down and the actuators move for the next cycle. When this happens , there is a few seconds where all the the pipes in the three way valves are open. With the spa being higher than the pool , the water flows back to the pool. Each time it cycles you lose a small amount of water , but over the span of hours it adds up.

Like yours , my freeze protection has been kicking on and running all night. Mine will run for 30 minutes in spa mode and 30 minutes in pool mode. Depending how long the freeze protection runs for , my elevated spa will drain down into the pool. What happens is when it switches between spa and pool , the pump shuts down and the actuators move for the next cycle. When this happens , there is a few seconds where all the the pipes in the three way valves are open. With the spa being higher than the pool , the water flows back to the pool. Each time it cycles you lose a small amount of water , but over the span of hours it adds up.
Mine did the same thing. Plus, the cycle time allowed just enough time in these frigid temps for ice to form. Once that happened, the valve was stuck and the spa drained to the pool level allowing the booster jets in the spa to send water spraying out of the spa into the yard. I manually set the actuator valve to flow partially to/from the spa/pool (so a partial spillway mode) and then set each valve switch to “off” until this winter storm passes. My pumps are running 24/7 until temps warm up, too.

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.