Water in pool but equipment not setup, add bleach yet?

May 7, 2017
Northern NJ
Pool water was added on Friday. Equipment is not getting plumed till today (Sunday). Electrical won't be ready until probably Tuesday. I'm wondering if I should be adding anything to the pool yet or wait until the filter and saltwater generator are running? I'm afraid to add anything without any circulation in the pool. So far the weather has been cool and cloudy only about 60 to 65 degrees. But today we have sun and it's getting warmer now. Today we're at 81 degrees outside

Without CYA/stabilizer the water may be a bit harsh. If their eyes burn tell them to keep them shut -- and make sure you do not mind if their swim clothes might fade a bit.

But they will come out clean!!! Let them swim!

Ok test kit arrived today. Husband dumped a gallon of liquid chlorine in yesterday from his pool buddy. Equipment is setup and electrical should be done in the next 2 days (hopefully). I tried out the Taylor kit just to get used to working with it. Total chlorine is basically 0 and pH is 8.2. I am going to get some more liquid chlorine. I looked at the pool math thing last night to figure out how much liquid chlorine I need but I wasn't understanding it. My sister just went into the emergency room after having a baby 1 week ago so I am not able to focus totally. We are getting salt today and I will be waiting to add it until I know for sure the pump/generator will be running withing a day.

Focus on family first, not the pool.

When you can, you need to keep chlorine in the pool. Without stabilizer (CYA) it will burn off very fast in the sun. Just be sure some is put in once the sun is off the pool.

Half a gallon of 10% or 8.25% bleach/liquid chlorine is fine. That gets you close to FC 3.

Take care.

Wow, so the gallon we put in yesterday burned off already? Should I add CYA this time? I am kind of in limbo with everything until the salt generator is up and running. Yesterday was sunny and 85. Today is partly sunny and probably almost 80.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Without stabilizer in the water the chlorine will disappear in a matter of minutes when the pool is in the sun.

You can put CYA in now. You will need to brush brush brush or throw the kids back in to mix it. Put the stabilizer in a tube sock or nylon and you will need to squeeze it to get it to dissolve in the pool water. Do not set it down on your pool side or bottom, it can damage the surface as it is slightly acidic.

Use 30 PPM of stabilizer. Use PoolMath. If you want us to verify how much you get - let us know!

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.