Water Guru

As long as he follows the advice he’s getting from the manufacturers of the device, it should work exactly as intended.

Cal hypo in the skimmer is not a problem. It’s done all the time and is probably the better place to dispense it as cal-hypo can cause water cloudiness. The muriatic acid used by WG is the lower concentration 10 Baume type and, as long as the pump is running during dispensing, there should be sufficient water dilution to be safe.

I’d love to see posts on here of Water Guru users and how they like or dislike the product. Unfortunately all of the chemical automation products lately have had their companies go belly up financially. So WaterGuru has an open field at the moment.

If he has a TF-100 we would love to see a some comparisons over time between what the WG says and what the TF-100 says. Also just to see how well it keeps the chemical balance.

As with JoyfulNoise I'm always interested to see how these things work. This one is unique compared to the most recent contenders on the market. pHin and Sutro use digital sensors which tested pH, temperature, and chlorine (kind of, the specific way it does is thrown off by CYA so it isn't very accurate). This uses test strips and optical sensors. While I HATE consumer test strips, if they are using higher quality (much more expensive) ones it could prove to be somewhat reliable. And while those other companies were just some EE graduates more interested in selling a startup than water chemistry, WG does have some trustworthy names behind it. I'm still extremely skeptical, but I am watching with interest.

Thanks for all your replies.

I did a few tests on Saturday, which was probably just less than 24 hours of Water Guru being installed.
CYA was 40.
Chlorine was 5.5 ppm
pH was 7.5.

My understanding is they want to keep the chlorine in his water above 4ppm.

I'm pretty impressed with the Water Guru, and the contacts my son has with them. They really seem to know what they are doing.

Thinking perhaps it would be a good addition for my pool in Pleasanton.

My main concern is that the Cal Hypo they use adds calcium, and the water hardness is significantly higher here in Pleasanton, as compared to where my son lives in Fremont.

Interested in your thoughts, and hope Water Guru will add something to this as well.

Thanks for all your replies.

I did a few tests on Saturday, which was probably just less than 24 hours of Water Guru being installed.
CYA was 40.
Chlorine was 5.5 ppm
pH was 7.5.

My understanding is they want to keep the chlorine in his water above 4ppm.

I'm pretty impressed with the Water Guru, and the contacts my son has with them. They really seem to know what they are doing.

Thinking perhaps it would be a good addition for my pool in Pleasanton.

My main concern is that the Cal Hypo they use adds calcium, and the water hardness is significantly higher here in Pleasanton, as compared to where my son lives in Fremont.

Interested in your thoughts, and hope Water Guru will add something to this as well.

The cal-hypo isn’t necessary, it just makes automatic dispensing easier. Can’t do that very well with liquid chlorine unless WG was tied into a pool’s Stenner pump (who knows, maybe that will be a future option). So, if you wanted to use WG and not use cal-hypo, the. WG would automate pH control and leave the liquid chlorine dispensing up to you.

As well, through the use of phosphate control (ie, removing phosphates from the water as an essential nutrient), WG expects you to need a lower FC/CYA ratio and therefore less chlorine overall. Cal-hypo adds about 6ppm CH for every 10ppm FC so if you use less than 100ppm / month, then your added CH would be 60ppm plus evaporation/fill.

I say if you’re willing to part with the greenbacks, go for it. More information is always better than less.

- - - Updated - - -

And no, I am in no way technically or financially affiliated with WaterGuru....

As well, through the use of phosphate control (ie, removing phosphates from the water as an essential nutrient), WG expects you to need a lower FC/CYA ratio and therefore less chlorine overall. Cal-hypo adds about 6ppm CH for every 10ppm FC so if you use less than 100ppm / month, then your added CH would be 60ppm plus evaporation/fill.

The comment on phosphate control made me think of the comments of my new pool (new for me).
Don't have a phosphate tester, but comments are that the water never looked better.

Made efforts to keep the surface skimmed with a Skim-A-Round to get organic debris out of the water before it sinks to the bottom.
and
Purchased a Robot, that gets the leaves, etc., that do drop to bottom out of the pool water faster. It' gets clean every few days.
(the old vacuum kept them in the leaf canister, or pump basket, or in the filter.)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The comment on phosphate control made me think of the comments of my new pool (new for me).
Don't have a phosphate tester, but comments are that the water never looked better.

Made efforts to keep the surface skimmed with a Skim-A-Round to get organic debris out of the water before it sinks to the bottom.
and
Purchased a Robot, that gets the leaves, etc., that do drop to bottom out of the pool water faster. It' gets clean every few days.
(the old vacuum kept them in the leaf canister, or pump basket, or in the filter.)

Organic debris is not really a significant source of phosphates. The biggest contributor by far is if your municipal water supplier uses them for metal control or if you use scale control products in your pool or, by accident, someone dumps fertilizer in your pool (lawn care and landscape companies that do annual fertilizer work are often very careless when spreading fertilizer chemicals....I fired my weed control company because I caught their tech spraying weed chemicals across my pool).

Phosphate reduction would be limited to a one time, annual event like opening or closing the pool. The only time a kit is needed is to make an initial assessment of PO4 levels and then you treat for them and are done. My understanding was that WaterGuru recommended a service where you send them a small water sample and they do all the advanced testing methods (CYA, metals, phosphates, etc) and then they recommend a treatment plan for anything that might be out of their specifications.

Did you purchase that level of service?

Son's pool, (my old pool of 40 years) is the one doing Water Guru.

Someone from Water Guru came by yesterday, and took a water sample.

They seem to be very knowledgeable about pool water.

Sounds good. Let us know how it works out. It will be interesting to hear about real life experience rather than sales literature....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.