Water features that make the most noise?

miltonmom

Jan 17, 2021
Georgia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 700
Hi all,
Still trying to make a few decisions and one is about water features. We've had quotes for sheer descent waterfalls (2), deck jets and bubblers. Aside from cost factor, which is the loudest? We live near a road, so that is driving force on decision. One PB told us that sheer descents don't make much noise. We had deck jets in a pool in Houston and don't remember them making much noise either. Our spa will have a spillover which will contribute, but we're just not sure how much. Any thoughts? Many thanks!!

Last edited:
IMHO....

I think I'm in the same situation as you are (fairly close to a busy road). I have a ~30" wide spillover that falls about 20" (height) into the pool - it makes a good enough noise to help drown out traffic.

Generally, the longer the water has to travel to get into the pool the louder it will be. The deck jets will probably make a pleasant amount of noise as well and, if you get more than one of them, might be louder than a spillover.

Last edited:
Reactions: miltonmom
Y,

There is a difference between a soothing noise and an aggravating noise... In my mind, or maybe ear, it would be impossible to cover up the noise from a freeway with anything I'd want to hear for very long.. Waterfalls, of any kind are pretty noisy, but you can kind of control the noise by how fast you run the pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Wow I had almost the same dilemma as you...except due to a neighbor's ancient a/c unit. At first we just ordered a bubbler, but after signing the contract, we visited a friends house with a bubbler and 2 deck jets. We decided to add on 2 deck jets ourselves.

The bubbler just didn't create the volume we wanted. When he turned the deck jets on it was so much louder, but he had the ability to dial it down to the perfect volume using the vs pump and valve setting combo. Not to mention
deck jets were only $400 a piece so made sense to add them on just in case.

I have 3 - 6" scuppers, 5 bubblers, and 3 deck jets. The scuppers and bubblers get used all of the time. I run my features pump slowly, about 1200RPM if I remember right,, and they make a nice soothing sound. Add in the deck jets and you have to yell to talk. Not really but they are quite loud and don't get used that much unless the kids are out there. I wouldn't do them again.

--Jeff

Rain features are pretty loud.

Big smooth sheet sheers create a smooth sound that might work but they take a lot of water flow.

You might need 8 feet of shear to get a good effect.

Get a water feature pump or a big variable speed pump if you get a separate pump for a big feature.

A smaller feature can probably be run from the return flow of the main pump.

I have 3 - 6" scuppers, 5 bubblers, and 3 deck jets. The scuppers and bubblers get used all of the time. I run my features pump slowly, about 1200RPM if I remember right,, and they make a nice soothing sound. Add in the deck jets and you have to yell to talk. Not really but they are quite loud and don't get used that much unless the kids are out there. I wouldn't do them again.

--Jeff
Do you happen to know if the deck jets are adjustable to create more of a smooth stream to cause less turbulence/noise?

If you are looking for a "smoother" deck jet, then you would install a Laminar. Those are like deck jets, but a smooth stream. Kind of like a sheer vs. a waterfall. The sheer is smooth, the waterfall is not. The deck just is like the waterfall, the laminar is like the sheer. Hope that made sense!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sheer Arc Rain waterfalls provide streams of water that project up at 45 degrees and then naturally arcs and descends to the pool surface. Sheer Arc Rain waterfalls can be positioned just above the waterline—no raised bond beam is required—making it perfect for vinyl liner pools. The fall projects up from the unit at a 45° angle and then naturally arcs and descends to the pool surface.

Dealt with this extensively when going from my natural waterfall in my pond to a pool. My natural waterfall was great at drowning out street noise. I wanted to create the same effect when installing the pool. After seeing the sheer falls, I knew they would not do the job. I have 5 sheer falls on the back of the pool and 4 sheer falls from fire features. Even those running at a good speed barely make a dent in the annoying barking dogs and the occasional motorcycle. So on my main waterfall i had the builder install a granite ledge and instead of a sharp edge (think a standard counter edge) I had them do a rough edge. This breaks the surface tension of the water and causes more sound on impact. In addition, it is on a variable pump. I can run it on low (still have a conservation, and block low noise) medium (harder to talk but blocks out most noise) or high (think water park rumble but no noise at all). I'll post pics when I get some time of the rough edge in action. In the end, it's not just the height and speed of water, but the smoothness of the edge that either keeps or breaks the surface tension of the water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.