Water feature plumbing- stagnant water in lines?

Jun 20, 2018
Walnut Creek
Question in regards to water features..

I'm almost complete with my pool build (Aquasports 52 15x30 Nor Cal Build)

I plumbed for future water features but have a question about the water sitting in the lines.

I plumbed a 3 way valve off my filter (return/feature) and ran a 2" pipe to where my future features will be. I tested the line and valve to make sure I had no leaks. But I realize that I will just have water sitting in that line until I turn it on again. That could be days or months, i'm assuming stagnant water sitting there isn't good.

Did I plumb this wrong? how are others doing this? I searched and searched before plumbing and found the Jandy references showing how to plumb the pad with the correct valves, therefore creating a single spare leg off the return.

Here is my design:

You can see off filter is 3 way, to left is return, to right is feature which has an additional jandy to control flow rate, but this is just a single 2" line to nowhere.. when i'm not using this feature.. water will just sit in that line stagnant?
(the rise on the right was for convenience so the flow valve was not on the ground, and I intended to plumb two separate lines 1 for slide, 1 for water fall but decided to just run 1 2" over for now, that's why the T with a cap is there)

8F1ADD2C-426F-4C8A-83B7-C281C6367974.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

172555-Aquasports-52-15x30-Nor-Cal-Build

TheeMikeB I have several water features with a similar set up other than I have valves to control each feature. Yes the water is stagnant and when I turn them on now I see sometime green water for the first 10 seconds. It will not harm the pool provided you check your chlorine levels. Hope this helps:cheers:

Wherever the PVC terminates [assuming it's above ground], replace the cap w a shut-off valve or bib so when you open it, you can run it into a 5 gal bucket. If it's green, run till clear...now you pretty much have some plant water...if you suspect any CL in the bucket, leave it in the sun a few days and you are good to go...purge the lines whenever you feel it's needed and now you're in no hurry to rush a water feature install.

Stagnant water for a couple days, not a huge deal. A month or more, yes. You’d definitely end up with some undesirable “stuff” in your water. It would be fairly inconsequential compared to the full volume of a properly sanitized pool though.

However, I think if it were MY pool, I’d merely make sure that I was turning the water feature and slide on for a couple minutes at a time a couple times a week, it doesn’t need to be for hours or anything,literally a minute or 2 should get all the standing water out of the pipes and get fresh, chlorinated water back into them. Maybe just put yourself on a schedule to do it every Wednesday and Saturday or something similar.

For inground pools we recommend running fresh chlorinated water thru the lines briefly each day.

I'm not sure with this above ground pipe set up if it can be set up to run automatically like that? Or just do it manually every day or two?

Maddie :flower:

Thanks all, this is helpful. I wanted to make sure there was nothing I over looked for the plumbing. Until I get it all setup, I'll pump some water through a few times a week. @tstex that's a good idea about the extra valve to bleed off any junk in there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.