Water feature issues

I think it is a neat little device, but I stand by my initial statement until we get some feedback from an actual user... :p

I just want to make clear what I'm trying to say... This device will not "automatically" select more than two positions.. it is either Off or it will go to whatever degree of rotation that has been set up.

Let's use 90 degrees as an example... When not selected the valve will be off or 0 degrees.. if you select it, it will rotate to the preset 90 degrees. You can then use your remote to manually adjust it to something else, let say 120 degrees... When you shut it off it will go back to 0 degrees and when you turn it on again I believe it will go back to 120 degrees..

I don't see anything that says you can make it go from 0 to 90 and then to 180 with out manually using your remote to move it..

My initial thought was that we wanted to be able to have the ability to independently turn on the Waterfall OR the Bubblers or the Waterfall AND the Bubblers... The Smart JVA would allow this but you would have to manually adjust it every time you wanted to change the operation.

Of course, I have been wrong about 100 times today alone, so one more won't kill me... :p

I'd sure like to hear from someone that has one of these things...

Thanks,

Jim R.

I think it is a neat little device, but I stand by my initial statement until we get some feedback from an actual user... :p

I just want to make clear what I'm trying to say... This device will not "automatically" select more than two positions.. it is either Off or it will go to whatever degree of rotation that has been set up.

Let's use 90 degrees as an example... When not selected the valve will be off or 0 degrees.. if you select it, it will rotate to the preset 90 degrees. You can then use your remote to manually adjust it to something else, let say 120 degrees... When you shut it off it will go back to 0 degrees and when you turn it on again I believe it will go back to 120 degrees..

I don't see anything that says you can make it go from 0 to 90 and then to 180 with out manually using your remote to move it..

My initial thought was that we wanted to be able to have the ability to independently turn on the Waterfall OR the Bubblers or the Waterfall AND the Bubblers... The Smart JVA would allow this but you would have to manually adjust it every time you wanted to change the operation.

Of course, I have been wrong about 100 times today alone, so one more won't kill me... :p

I'd sure like to hear from someone that has one of these things...

Thanks,

Jim R.

You may be correct on this one. My thoughts initially when I bought it were that I could set up a program that had the presets for that program. Then put in a new program. New program, new presets. But when I got into the control for it, I think that wasn't quite the way it worked and it was more of a "you can set it from iAqualink but it is a global setting" kind of deal. Maybe I will turn on my system and see what it says again and post up some print screens.

I'd be OK with automatic Waterfall OR Bubblers and have to set the AND with the remote.

This is the only screenshot I've been able to find.

Zodiac_Pool_Systems.jpg

No, I don't but I'd leave the setup to my PB if I were to get the SmartJVA. Everything's still under warranty and they have some things they still need to do.

And just FYI you need a SmartJVA module for each valve you want to adjust. I am not sure you can program them with the OneTouch and then get rid of the OneTouch. You might need to keep that forever. So if you have 4 valves pus the OneTouch you are looking at close to $1000 extra.

Disappointed to figure out that I can't use the SmartJVA on my Intake valve after all. After reading more about it, I realized it only connects to the auxiliary ports. It really was designed just for water features. Maybe it should be called "SmartWater" or something, because it doesn't work on all JVAs. :)

Oh well. I was going to order one to try with my OneTouch and report back on its functionality, but now I don't have a use for it.

I just found these screens in my Aqualink web interface. Would these be all I need to program them?
jva.jpg

I think this is what PoolGate tried to do and wrote about in post#16 of this thread, part of which I copied below.

For the record, I put one of these in my system. It is very easy to install. However, I cannot use it since I do not have a OneTouch display. I got so much conflicting information on this product that I figured I'd take a chance and order it anyway and hope I could program it with my iAqualink interface. But it did not work because I had no way to initially tell the system where the SmartJVA was located (It did recognize that the board was installed, however). Frustrating! I have been looking for a cheap used OneTouch and also my local pool store said they could probably bring one over just to program it. I do not think you need the OneTouch once the system is setup. It will not program via the PDA or the web Interface. I can change the percent now as it does appear in my configuration, it is just not assigned to any physical JVA so it doesn't do anything.

So I think the screens you posted are fine for changing settings after the SmartJVA board is initialized, but the initialization/pairing has to occur through a OneTouch control panel.

Per the Jandy installation manual:
"The Smart JVA Module will operate with any AquaLink® RS control panel with Rev R or newer firmware, including the iAquaLink™, but can only be set up from the OneTouch control panel."

That quote is from Section 4, page 10 in below link:

https://premium.zodiacpoolsystems.com/~/media/2ebd5560e8c542b3a7e51b199d867445.pdf

Not sure why they would limit it to OneTouch setup and not include PDA or other remotes, but perhaps there is a technical issue initializing with wireless options.

Added: If your PB is doing the initialization with a temporary OneTouch connection, please try using the SmartJVA set up screens you posted above and let us know how it works out. I'm curious to know if there is any case where you need the OneTouch again to re-initialize the daughter card. For example, if you shut off the breakers to your RS board, is the SmartJVA daughter board responsive without re-initializing through OneTouch?

Last edited:
I see that on page 10 but those screens and buttons are exactly like the ones I'm seeing in the Aqualink.... "Assign", "Adjust", "Calibrate". I can't imagine they'd put those screens there in a web application that don't function. Perhaps the RS was updated but the documentation wasn't?

Anyhow, I don't have the SmartJVA yet and haven't even talked to my PB about this...choosing to wait until after "pool school" next week.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I see that on page 10 but those screens and buttons are exactly like the ones I'm seeing in the Aqualink.... "Assign", "Adjust", "Calibrate". I can't imagine they'd put those screens there in a web application that don't function. Perhaps the RS was updated but the documentation wasn't?

Anyhow, I don't have the SmartJVA yet and haven't even talked to my PB about this...choosing to wait until after "pool school" next week.

This is exactly what I have and saw in mine and was unable to pair the SmartJVA board. I put in a single SmartJVA board and connected it to a JVA. Which in itself is strange because the JVA you want to control connects directly to the SmartJVA board.

It appears the iAqualink screens send your programming data via the RS board INTO the SmartJVA board. The SmartJVA board may or may not actually store the "which actuator" and "which percent" information you program/assign. But the SmartJVA board isn't able to send that data OUT to the actuator box itself without being electronically initialized with that actuator, like a handshake.

I'm assuming the SmartJVA board does not have a wireless chip to receive/process a wireless initialization sequence from iAqualink for that handshake. Not sure why it doesn't, but hopefully Jandy will solve that for a future SmartJVA. Maybe call it "iSmartJVA" to indicate that it is fully controlled, both initialization and programming, through the iAqualink.

It appears the iAqualink screens send your programming data via the RS board INTO the SmartJVA board. The SmartJVA board may or may not actually store the "which actuator" and "which percent" information you program/assign. But the SmartJVA board isn't able to send that data OUT to the actuator box itself without being electronically initialized with that actuator, like a handshake.

I'm assuming the SmartJVA board does not have a wireless chip to receive/process a wireless initialization sequence from iAqualink for that handshake. Not sure why it doesn't, but hopefully Jandy will solve that for a future SmartJVA. Maybe call it "iSmartJVA" to indicate that it is fully controlled, both initialization and programming, through the iAqualink.

??? The "i" in iAqualink means the system is internet enabled. It doesn't mean the internal components speak to each other wirelessly. Everything internal to the iAqualink is hardwired. You can access the system wirelessly but you are just seeing a front-end interface that is located on the hardware unit itself.

I don't disagree with you. The wireless chip assumption was an attempt to navigate the difference between initialization via a wired OneTouch and a wireless (in my installation) iAqualink. Perhaps it's more appropriate to point out that one is internet-enabled and one is not. Ultimately, the SmartJVA initialization process from Jandy only works through the wired, non-internet connection.

As an aside, the wi-fi option for the iAqualink J-box can also be initialized via the OneTouch.

I don't disagree with you. The wireless chip assumption was an attempt to navigate the difference between initialization via a wired OneTouch and a wireless (in my installation) iAqualink. Perhaps it's more appropriate to point out that one is internet-enabled and one is not. Ultimately, the SmartJVA initialization process from Jandy only works through the wired, non-internet connection.

As an aside, the wi-fi option for the iAqualink J-box can also be initialized via the OneTouch.

I see what you are saying but the "wireless iAqualink" is not wireless per se. It is a web server embedded in the control system. And it is only wireless if you access it that way. It also works as a wired component. That layer of the OSI model is not visible to the web, or application layer. How you access the system is immaterial. Either the OneTouch, Web Interface, or the handheld PDA. It would appear that Jandy did not program all of the functionality equally into the various interfaces. I suspect this is a design flaw rather than intentional. I also have never seen a way to flash new firmware on the system. This is very poor programming.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.