Zurex

Nov 3, 2021
Arlington, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
First time pool owner. Just moved in. Due to high CH and CYA a water exchange is needed (planning on doing it in the next couple days). I've read everything available and want some reassurance I'm heading in the right direction. Currently there's an inline chlorinator which seems to be keeping things clear for now. I've just been running the pump and pressure cleaner. Figured I'd wait until I do the exchange, remove the chlorinator, then begin the TFP method.

I tested everything 3 times. Same results all 3 tests. With CH and CYA I did regular and diluted tests.

FC=8.8
CC=0
PH=7.6
TA=90
CH=1000
CYA=110
Pool Water Temp = 58

Fill Water CH= 125
Fill Water TA = 120
Fill Water Temp =54

DeltaT = -10 (Math may be off, I have no idea)

Based on the DeltaT I should be extracting from the bottom of the pool at the deepest end and filling from a shallow step on the opposing end, correct?

Pool math suggests 63% replacement. Should I round up to 70%?

I'm going to try and get a utility pump that is as close to the flow rate of the fill source as I can. Assuming adjustments will need to be made, how do I adjust the flow rate of a submersible utility pump? I feel like it's going to be difficult to match up flow rates. Am I overthinking this?

Lastly, because I'll be dechlorinating then exchanging water will the first step upon completing water exchange be Slamming the pool? The pool is crystal clear now. Should I expect things to change dramatically during the dechlorinating and exchange process, even if it only takes a day or two?

Welcome to the forum!

Good planning. I would suggest exchanging at least 70%. Better would be to go to 80% to get the CH down further.
how do I adjust the flow rate of a submersible utility pump? I feel like it's going to be difficult to match up flow rates. Am I overthinking this?
Just let the pump go at the rate it does. Adjust the fill rate to match. If the pump is faster than your fill rate (unlikely), then just turn the pump off when the level drops by 6-12" and let the fill catch up.

Once done, run the pump and brush the pool well to mix the waters. Then take a sample and run a full set of tests. Then adjust to get your FC in range for your CYA (might have to add some CYA to get to 30 ppm or so), adjust pH if necessary.

Reactions: Zurex
Reactions: Mlccdavis and Zurex
Before you drain/exchange…..

You might want to read about how your water is priced for next year! Arlington and other
cities use "Average Winter Consumption" to determine your cost. It begins with Decembers
bill and through the next 3 months. Not sure if there is any leeway for filling a pool.

Good call. I watched the video. If I understand correctly, they take 4 months, discard the highest month and average the three lowest. If so, the month of the exchange should have no effect in regards to the AWC. Let me know if I'm missing something, though.

You’ve got it.

With my luck, I'd be filling the last day of the month and into the first of the next! :ROFLMAO:
Just wanted to be sure you knew about the winter averaging. I haven't gotten dinged
on my bill for filling my pool when I did exchanges, but all cities are different. Hope all
goes well. Ask us any questions…the folks here are extremely knowledgeable.

Welcome to TFP!

You’ve got it.

With my luck, I'd be filling the last day of the month and into the first of the next! :ROFLMAO:
Just wanted to be sure you knew about the winter averaging. I haven't gotten dinged
on my bill for filling my pool when I did exchanges, but all cities are different. Hope all
goes well. Ask us any questions…the folks here are extremely knowledgeable.

Welcome to TFP!
We share a similar hand in luck. I wasn't aware of the winter averaging so I appreciate the heads-up. I think the exchange will go well. It's my first attempt at getting the levels dialed in that I'll probably mess up. I've consumed as much info on here as I can, we'll see how it goes. Everyone here is incredibly knowledgable and helpful. Grateful I accidentally stumbled across this site instead of blindly walking into a Leslie's.

Reactions: Lilypad
*Update

Exchange went perfectly. I went with 80% as Mknauss suggested. Used a cheap $50 1/6 submersible pump from Harbor freight. Pump ran smoothly for 41 hours straight, albeit significantly slower than I wanted, but worth the $50 nonetheless.

FC=0
PH=7.0
TA=110
CH=370
CYA=35

Water is perfectly clear, no algae, I'm assuming I should be able to add the suggested chlorine and won't need to slam. I'll probably raise the CYA a little after winter. PH Needs to come up, TA needs to go down. I'm a little confused on the relationship between PH and TA and how to get both in check without effecting one too much. I'm going to mess around with that a bit and try to solve it myself before seeking further advice.

Also, is part of being a first time pool owner constantly stepping on the skimmer cover, or am I the only one? Driving me crazy. Already broke it. Maybe after I get sick of paying for new ones I'll learn how to walk around the large white circle in the concrete, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: kul and Newdude
Also, is part of being a first time pool owner constantly stepping on the skimmer cover
I mean. My large self would have somehow fit a size 12 shoe in the size 9 skimmer, immediately tumbling whatever direction the pool happened to be, no matter which way I was coming from, losing alot of pride and a cellphone in the process. :ROFLMAO: So ya got THAT going for you, which is nice.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Also, is part of being a first time pool owner constantly stepping on the skimmer cover, or am I the only one? Driving me crazy. Already broke it. Maybe after I get sick of paying for new ones I'll learn how to walk around the large white circle in the concrete, lol.
LOL! Don’t feel bad. I’m on my 4th replacement cover already. It’s only been 2 months.

Not sure if you have an autofill for your pool but I'd suggest it be connected to a water softener of sort as evaporation takes the water but leaves the CH behind so constantly filling hard water will get you high CH.

Not sure if you have an autofill for your pool but I'd suggest it be connected to a water softener of sort as evaporation takes the water but leaves the CH behind so constantly filling hard water will get you high CH.
No auto fill. I’d prefer not to install a softener system. I guess it will come down to how often not having one will result in a water exchange. Once every three years, I’m fine with that. Once a year or more, I’ll probably want one.

Just catching up on your thread. Congrats on the new pool & house!
To address one of your questions:
If you want to be 100% sure about not having any organics in the water- w/ fc @ target for your cya FC/CYA Levels
do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.
Thank you. Went a little overboard with chlorine so waiting to get down to target level. Another day or two and I should be able to perform the OCLT. Water is crystal clear. Filter pressure is great. Not seeing dramatic swings. I suspect I’ll pass but we’ll see.

Reactions: Lilypad and Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.