Water comes out blower when in spa mode

Sep 17, 2013
Pool recently remodeled. No plumbing changed.

New jets installed in spa, 6 total. Used to be 3 regular and 3 spinning or massaging jets....I replaced with all 6 the massaging kind.

If you switch it to spa mode, immediately water comes out of the blower. It’s installed plenty high and far enough from the spa but no check valve. However, it’s never had one and never mattered.

I’m wondering if the new jets are too restrictive? They can be adjusted, can’t they? Possibly closed too much and causing too much back pressure? I screw them in as far as I could.

Thanks for the help!

The lines could be clogged. Remove the jets as well as the nozzles (deep within the spa wall) and run the spa jets to try and clear them out.

If that doesn't work, it could be the type of jet that is being used. Do you have a model # for the jets? Were the old jets standard venturi tees with nozzles?

In the remodel, was plaster work done? I would try removing the jet fittings and nozzles and see if that clears the plumbing.

MrJon...

Our pool/spa was re-plastered not long ago. We also replaced all 8 spa jets with the same type as in the above link you posted. And guess what? When I first turned on the spa, the water comes out of the blower just like you said. And of course, I panic! Could have been a catastrophe if we have a motorized blower.

Mark's suggestion is spot on. First off, you may want to warm up the water in the spa then remove all the jets and run the pump for a few. Make sure the return lines are all clear. Then install back the jets and close all but 2 or 3 at a time. Run the pump until you see the air bubbles. Hope you figured out how to open and close the nozzles (clockwise all the way is close, 1/4 turn counterclockwise to open). Do the same to the remaining jets in random until they all work properly. I'm not an expert but this method worked for me. Good luck...

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I removed all the jets, using a pair of pliers because I couldn’t get them by hand.

Soon as I did that, all was well again, so clearly the jets must’ve been closed causing back pressure.

Not sure the valves are all set correctly, as they still don’t seem to put out a ton of pressure. The company that did the start up on it did move all the valves and I’m not sure they put them back correctly.....the spill over for the spa doesn’t flow like normal so that was what first tipped me off.

- - - Updated - - -

MrJon...

Our pool/spa was re-plastered not long ago. We also replaced all 8 spa jets with the same type as in the above link you posted. And guess what? When I first turned on the spa, the water comes out of the blower just like you said. And of course, I panic! Could have been a catastrophe if we have a motorized blower.

Mark's suggestion is spot on. First off, you may want to warm up the water in the spa then remove all the jets and run the pump for a few. Make sure the return lines are all clear. Then install back the jets and close all but 2 or 3 at a time. Run the pump until you see the air bubbles. Hope you figured out how to open and close the nozzles (clockwise all the way is close, 1/4 turn counterclockwise to open). Do the same to the remaining jets in random until they all work properly. I'm not an expert but this method worked for me. Good luck...

I wasn’t sure how to adjust them, so thanks for the info! Oh and mine is an electric blower!

Water coming out Spa blower???

Not sure if this should go here or in the spa forum

But

Ever since we had our pool replastered in March, we’ve had an issue with the spa. When in spa mode, water comes out of the blower.

Realized there wasn’t a check valve installed on it, so I installed one and thought that solved the problem.

However it has started again, not sure when, but I just discovered water pouring out everywhere this morning. Even out of the control box, as I’m guessing the water was traveling through the electrical cords.

Does anyone have any ideas what is causing this?

Never had a check valve before and never had a problem. Again, problem didn’t start until after replaster.

Blower works fine if spa isn’t on. No air comes out when in spa mode because I imagine the air can’t push by the water.

Edit: to say yes after I installed the check valve I realized it was suppose to be at the top of the pipe, but didn’t think that would matter.

Water coming out blower motor

Wasn’t sure where to put this, so Cross posted in Pumps, Filters & Plumbing too

Ever since we had our pool replastered in March, we've had an issue with the spa. When in spa mode, water comes out of the blower.

Realized there wasn't a check valve installed on it, so I installed one and thought that solved the problem.

However it has started again, not sure when, but I just discovered water pouring out everywhere this morning. Even out of the control box, as I'm guessing the water was traveling through the electrical cord.

Does anyone have any ideas what is causing this?

Never had a check valve before and never had a problem. Again, problem didn't start until after replaster. New jets and fittings also installed. Blower works fine if spa isn't on. Doesn't when in spa mode because I imagine the air can't push past the water, but didn't think that would matter

Edit: to say yes I realized after I installed the check valve that it is supposed to be at the very top of the pipe against the blower.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: Water coming out blower motor

Sounds like there is a restriction in your spa return plumbing preventing the water from coming out. Suspect maybe some debris behind the jets? Take them all out and see whats' what.

Also, I do not understand how you could be getting water into your electrical box ... can you post pictures?

- - - Updated - - -

I merged all your related questions. Looks like this was previously fixed back in March?!?!?

Re: Water coming out blower motor

Thanks for the merge

Yes it was a previous problem....but when I added the check valve, it no longer was. Or so I thought

I can add pics, just have to get a hosting account, as I’m apparently out allowed upload space on the forum

Water is going up the blower line, into the blower motor, then down the blower electrical conduit to the electric panel.

- - - Updated - - -

Before I put the jets on I stuck a long metal rod into the jets and didn’t find anything....

I think your metal rod broke something behind a jet where the water line and air line come together.

Water is going up the blower line, into the blower motor, then down the blower electrical conduit to the electric panel.

- - - Updated - - -

I think your metal rod broke something behind a jet where the water line and air line come together.

Sorry, I should’ve said, when the problem first happened it was suggested to look for a blockage. I took the jets off and put a long screw driver in them, while the spa was drained. Never found anything.

Originally the spa had 3 massage deluxe jets and 3 regular. I replaced with all massaging and thought maybe the issue was too much back pressure by the jets so went back with 3 and 3. Plus added the check valve.

All seemed good for the past couple months until just now

Do you have pics of your check valve install? I would begin examining that and figuring out why the check valve is not working.

So just went to make sure check valve was correct and then I removed the blower to look in the pipe.

There is a chunk of mulch in there, no idea how, but when I turned the spa on, it was fine, no issue. Wth?

Could it be that the blower is old and not making enough pressure to force air through? Maybe just partially opening the valve? Because since it seemed to be ok, I turned the blower on and no bubbles were coming out in spa.

July 10, 2018 - YouTube

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.