Water Bond

lckjsharp

Mar 14, 2022
Seattle. WA
I am building my own pool and trying to get an electrician to do the work. I grounded the pool lights to the rebar and ran the grounding wire back to the pool equipment. I was told I need a water bond at the skimmer. I don't know how to do that now that the pool has the shotcrete done. Is it even necessary? Any advise?

On a gunite shell, the water is considered bonded through the conductivity of the permeable shell, but that ain't the whole of the story. The shell requires proper bonding via its rebar to a perimeter bond wire, which is also bonded with all other equipment, decking and controls. You are not trying to "ground" anything. You are trying to set up a field of protection by creating field of equal potential. I would get the electrician, or one familiar with pool bonding if this one isn't, to inspect and verify the bonding of everything together per code.

Last edited:
Going by what I read and noticed, please check code for accurate details.
Before gunite, ~#8 bare copper wire, around the perimeter of the rebar shell and affixed in at least 4 locations plus to all light nitches, as well as 4 pigtails that shall align to where the extra long rebar is in the 4 “corners” then carried to the equipment pad with enough extra to bond all equipment and panels. this was all a long singular piece for my pool.
inspection due before gunite.

after gunite. The 4 corners of rebar sticking out are bent down, along with exposed pigtails of copper wire and are affixed to the under paver 3’ perimeter equal potential grid. Alternatively the rebar grid for concrete decks is bonded in place of the grid mentioned above.
another inspection before deck is installed.

the water bond for my pool was part of the pentair nitch.

There are several threads here about bonding. My understanding is essentially anything metal near the pool and/or touching the water needs to be bonded. Here's what I did for mine, but if you're unsure you should find an electrician to do it.
  • Attached #8 bare copper to each corner of the rebar frame with clamps prior to gunite
  • I got skimmers that have a metal plate in them with copper running out to tie into my loop going around the pool. This bonded the water, but I believe light niches are used for the same purpose. I have nicheless lights though.
  • Ran the copper wire to my equipment pad to bond the pump, heater, and load center (they all have bonding lugs).
  • Bonded the motor for my cover

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.