Water bill adjustment

s.hashemirud

May 25, 2023
Seattle
Pool Size
I replaced part of my pool water due high CA. In my water bill I got $500 as adjustment. My bill is over $800. I replaced part of the water and I had a small leak in the skimmer that I fixed by myself. Should I let city know that most of the water that I used is due to pool water replacement?

Around here you only get a ONE TIME adjustment for pool fills. After that, Tucson Water doesn’t give any adjustments even if you drain and refill a pool. They consider the water “used” and “unrecoverable” and so you pay full price for it.

Definitely call but don’t be surprised if they say no. Although being where you, droughts and water shortages shouldn’t be an issue.

In Mesa, AZ sewer rates are based on water usage in the first two or three months of each year. If one were to drain/refill their pool during that time, contacting the city and having them review your water bill will usually get you an adjustment on the sewer rate - not the quantity of water used.

In Chandler, AZ sewer rates are a flat fee, regardless of water usage in any specific month(s). Last time I drained/refilled my 12k pool, the additional water cost was less than $50.

$500 for 16k gallons, especially in Seattle where water is more plentiful, seems a bit excessive.
Have you called them to discuss?

In Mesa, AZ sewer rates are based on water usage in the first two or three months of each year. If one were to drain/refill their pool during that time, contacting the city and having them review your water bill will usually get you an adjustment on the sewer rate - not the quantity of water used.

In Chandler, AZ sewer rates are a flat fee, regardless of water usage in any specific month(s). Last time I drained/refilled my 12k pool, the additional water cost was less than $50.

$500 for 16k gallons, especially in Seattle where water is more plentiful, seems a bit excessive.
Have you called them to discuss?

Does Chandler use a tiered rate system for water usage?

Down here in Tucson, as soon as you cross the 8CCF mark, the water rate doubles for every additional CCF up to 15. At 15 and above, the rate triples. And I think above 30CCF they start to apply penalties. Refilling a 15k gallon pool down here can easily cost $200-$300 more due to tiered charges.

Down here in Tucson, as soon as you cross the 8CCF mark, the water rate doubles for every additional CCF up to 15. At 15 and above, the rate triples. And I think above 30CCF they start to apply penalties. Refilling a 15k gallon pool down here can easily cost $200-$300 more due to tiered charges.
Yes, they use a tiered rate.

Presently - per 1,000 gallons
Screenshot_20230826-102335.jpg

Your rates are way better than ours -

1693072257702.png

Plus we have lots of “environmental fees” that are paid per ccf . Between service charges, fees, and taxes, I pay an additional $60 on my bill. My neighbor’s father in law worked for COT Water all his life and he even he is disgusted by it says the amount of financial waste in the system is what drives costs as well as huge legacy pension payments. They claim it’s all from water scarcity and climate issues but it’s not. Just pure waste, fraud, and abuse.
{/soap-box}

They charged us $100 for water and $150 for sewer, I believe they charged us $500 for adjustment in case we have a water leak.
Why would you expect an adjustment? That’s not an attacking question, I just don’t understand.

Last edited by a moderator:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your rates are way better than ours -

View attachment 525243

Plus we have lots of “environmental fees” that are paid per ccf . Between service charges, fees, and taxes, I pay an additional $60 on my bill. My neighbor’s father in law worked for COT Water all his life and he even he is disgusted by it says the amount of financial waste in the system is what drives costs as well as huge legacy pension payments. They claim it’s all from water scarcity and climate issues but it’s not. Just pure waste, fraud, and abuse.
{/soap-box}
They charged us $100 for water and $150 for sewer, I believe they charged us $500 for adjustment in case we have a water leak.

Around here you only get a ONE TIME adjustment for pool fills. After that, Tucson Water doesn’t give any adjustments even if you drain and refill a pool. They consider the water “used” and “unrecoverable” and so you pay full price for it.

Definitely call but don’t be surprised if they say no. Although being where you, droughts and water shortages shouldn’t be an issue.
Should I have let them know that we would refill the pool?

Should I had let them know?
That's unknown territory for me I'm afraid. I do know some counties are charging a hefty fee for excessive water use though, regardless of the reason why.

Reactions: s.hashemirud
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.