Was hoping to avoid this topic, but...

Pool Owner's Patience.

When clearing a pool, it is as important as what you are doing to clear it.

Most pool water problems didn't happen overnight, but with the TV etc telling us we should expect everything to be instantaneous, most people forget that some things take time.

To the question of how often, at the beginning of SLAMming a pool, every hour or so, until the pool starts holding chlorine at or close to slam levels, then you can relax a bit while the chlorine does it's job. 90% of the killing should take place in the first couple of days or so, with progress appearing to slow down over the next week or three. But appearances are deceiving. While your pool is clearing, you may have to clean your filter (by whatever method is appropriate for the type) many times as it picks up the finer particles left by the dead and dying algae.

P.O.P is a virtue I have to work on. ;-)
What about a second filter? I see you are working on a project that involves three stage filtration. What about adding a filter to my system? I always see small particles of debris in my water that I don't like.its been clear and sparkling until this fiasco but I feel it could be better. Would my concern be the ability of my pump to handle a second filter?

What I am working on is not a three stage filtration, it is three parallel filters. Each filter is connected directly to the pump so the pump feed all at once, instead of feeding through each in turn. As you've seen in the pics, I currently have only two, still looking for a third canister. The idea behind my project is to correct Intex's lack of filter area.

What size is your cartridge filter? You may not need more filtration, just an adjustment of your pump flow rate.

Two or three stage filtration usually involves different grades of filter media, and a pump set up with the proper flow rate and pressure. I've not seen anything like that for pool filtration, yet.

Assuming 48" water depth, your pool is close to 21K gallons, right?

According to this chart, you are about where you need to be for filter size.

[attachment=0:qd2jht2p]FilterSize.jpg[/attachment:qd2jht2p]

However, there are some doubts about this. Remember, these are minimums. Many of the experts here will recommend going almost twice what this chart shows.

But, lets get back to your original problem. Clearing a cloudy pool. You seem to be on the right track, keeping your FC level appropriate for the SLAM process. Your pool will clear with the filter you have, it just takes time, and several cleanings of the filter. Yes, I know it can be a pain in the backside, but if you continue to follow the SLAM process and clean your filter when your pressure rises 20-25% above clean, you will get there.

Attachments

• FilterSize.jpg
    FilterSize.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 34
Follow up - late but better than never.... It took two weeks for me to have the water quality I have been used to. Couldn't scrub the sides and bottom due to muscle soreness, but keeping the FC high and brushing and vacuuming as much as I could too two full weeks before I saw the sparkle. I hope that will be the first and last I have of algae. I am about to close up shop, waiting for the temp to drop from 66 to 60.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.