LifeTime Supporter
Sep 15, 2013
Fayetteville, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Our beloved WallE (Pentair Warrior SI) died about two months ago.

Because our 17 yo son has decided he wants to be a passenger airline pilot and we foresee needing to vomit cash for flight school, we thought we’d go old school for the rest of this season and drag out the ole manual vacuum. Turns out we are far too privileged and that’s not for us!

Decided to try a less expensive option and picked up a Betta SE for $375 (Amazon.com)

and a

Wybot Osprey 700 for $470 (Amazon.com).

Our line of thinking was the Wybot would only need to be ran a time or two per week with the Betta there to skim more from the top of the water.

Received the Wybot on Wed and have ran it four times now.

Just put Betta in about an hour ago.

Thus far, for our pool (which admittedly is different than most) if I had to make a decision right NOW, both bots would be going back to Amazon.

Wybot hasn’t been able to climb the angled floor walls (versus the vertical walls) of our deep end some areas. Oddly enough, it CAN climb all vertical walls it has been able to reach, and cleaned the water line with it.

It also has not been able to climb our wedding cake steps. But no judgment there as even WallE couldn’t do that.

It should also be noted that WallE had issues with one corner of our deep end. But because I could “drive” him, he got most of it when needed and forced.

As for Betta, it has “fought” three times thus far with our most powerful of the two intakes we have. Once it was stuck for a couple minutes until I pushed it back. The other three times it fought its way off.

However, initial look says that Betta can’t hold in the very small items it takes in. When it backs up after hitting a wall to go elsewhere the small stuff is allowed to escape.

We purposefully threw in some pine straw, leaves, and crepe Myrtle flowers we found in our yard. It has picked all that up, but a few CM flowers have escaped. Maybe it will be able to pick items back up before they sink?

Attaching photos of what the Wybot has failed to cross in four runs. I’ve tried to manipulate the photos so Wybot path can be seen more clearly.

Will follow up as we “play” with each robot to try and improve their abilities.

Attachments

• IMG_8027.jpeg
    IMG_8027.jpeg
    383.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_8028.jpeg
    IMG_8028.jpeg
    262.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8029.jpeg
    IMG_8029.jpeg
    320.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8030.jpeg
    IMG_8030.jpeg
    406.7 KB · Views: 7
RIP WallE...you've been almost a full red blooded member here over time. Its like we *knew* you.

You could save some cash and send him to the Navy or AF and let *them* train him on flying :mrgreen: . Just a wild suggestion.

Keep us posted on the bot comparisons..... tia.

Maddie 🌻

RIP WallE...you've been almost a full red blooded member here over time. Its like we *knew* you.

You could save some cash and send him to the Navy or AF and let *them* train him on flying :mrgreen: . Just a wild suggestion.

Keep us posted on the bot comparisons..... tia.

Maddie 🌻
Hubs retired in Nov after 30 years in the Army. Service was considered, but really the kiddo has “served” his country by having an absent dad much of his life.

There’s talk of a memorial service for WallE.

Betta is still going strong after over 8 hours, at least 3 of them with no sun.

Note, improvement could be attained by adding brushes to its front “wheels” so when it hits up against the pool walls it would brisj the waterline.

Hubs retired in Nov after 30 years in the Army. Service was considered, but really the kiddo has “served” his country by having an absent dad much of his life.
I hear ya. Skippy quit at 25yrs cause he was due to transfer and we just didn't have it in us to go again. Or a short tour to Korea alone....nah, been there done that.
Enjoy his retirement....y'all have earned it ;)

Maddie 🌻

Reactions: Household6
UPDATE:

We have full sun on our pool from 7am to 6pm. When the pump isn’t on, Betta runs around nonstop (even at night) without getting hung up on our strongest inlet. If the pump is on, I have to push it off average of 3 times per 24 hours.

My conclusion:
If you’re manually vacuuming the BETTA is worth the money I paid for it to help reduce the need to vacuum. However, going to need to come up with some sort of contraption to prevent a long side of it from being sucked onto the wall and rendering it stuck.

WYBOT:
If you’re used to manually vacuuming, it’s worth what I paid for it.

However, if you’re spoiled by a corded robot, this might not be a good solution. Why?

1. It can climb walls and does the waterline well. But it can’t climb steep floors. So if you have a 9+’ pool, much of your deep end still needs the manual vacuum at least once per week. (I’ve tried contacting Wybot for help via email, but no response yet).

2. Taking it in and out of the water to charge it is fairly inconvenient.

Good pints:
It weighs less than WallE.
Hook provided to retrieve it works well (but a pain to remove brush or net and attach hook).

Cons:
Maybe my biggest gripe is that you can tell it was developed and only tested by men or women who do not have fingernails! The lid isn’t as easy as WallE to open in the first place. But there’s not enough depth under the handle to put your fingers and pull up to open the lid if you have even “sports length” fingernails. It takes both hands to manipulate and pull to open it.

Also, though manageable, the screw-top piece that covers the charging port is a bit difficult to open with nails. Just beware.

Sadly, on the hunt for a corded replacement again.

If we had the funds to throw it it, would probably keep Betta. But we don’t have a lot of leaves or such around our pool. Biggest advantage would be its use during the spring pollen season.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
The Wybot was returned to Amazon. Took 28 days for them to process, inspect, and issue a refund.

We decided to keep Beta. Have only had one instance where it gave out of power and that was after two days of very cloudy and overcast skies.

Decided to give the JCRX a try ($999 on sale at Leslie’s). If interested, my review of it can be found here:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.