Want to upgrade my pump-need advice please

I have an Intex 9x18x52" pool and would like to upgrade my sand filter pump. I am confused by all the options and don't want to get a pump larger than I need. I had ordered a Hayward 1.5hp 21" sand filter Pro Series with a Matrix pump and after doing more research determined it would turn my pool into a whirlpool. The pool has Hayward fittings and is 90% pvc plumbed. Thanks in advance!!! ;)

The 1.5 HP Matrix is not a very powerful pump. It has about the same flow rate as a 1/2 HP TriStar. When shopping for combo systems, you are better off sticking with the larger filter than downsizing both the pump and filter. Usually these are matched pretty well.

I have a friend with the same pool and he also upgraded to the 3000 GPH pump. Bigger than he needs, but for the price the Intex setups are impossible to beat. I upgraded to a separate pump and sand filter years ago before Intex got smart and started selling them.

Also, that pump will work if you graduate to the larger 12x24 or even 32x16.

With all the information out there it definitely gets confusing. Reading the formus and reviews on Amazon, etc. there is conflicting information that doesn't help. My new pump is also much quieter, I think the bearings were going out on the old one. It had a bit of a rattle. So I am a happy camper!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.