Want to raise water level

Venison

LifeTime Supporter
Dec 5, 2015
Wilmington, NC
I have a fiberglass 15,000 gallon with spillover spa. I want to raise the water level for no other reason than it bugs me that there is 6 or so inches of pool wall showing between the surface of the water and the bottom of the coping. The problem is that when I raise the water to the top of the scupper it doesn’t draw nearly as well. Is there a product that can help this? Or is it just the nature of the beast? Thanks
Jeff

By scupper, do you mean skimmer? I think a scupper is a spiller-over or water fall. A skimmer is what draws in water to keep the surface clean.

Most skimmers are designed to work best when the water level is about halfway up the opening. If you shrink the opening you're going to compromise its efficiency. I don't know of any way around that, other than raising the skimmer, which of course is not practical or even doable.

There are cleaning systems that skim the surface that float out in the pool. Some attached to automatic vacuums roaming the bottom. You might google "floating skimmer" or the like.

Alternately, you can add edge tile to a fiberglass pool that might solve this aesthetic issue another way. I can't specifically endorse this video as the absolute best way to do this (it certainly could be), only that this guy seems to think so:

My pool uses a "floating weir skimmer basket". The upper edge of the inside section is designed to float on the surface. This accelerates the speed of the surface water, much like the upper edge of a weir door. It eliminates the need for weir door, so as long as water level is within the mouth of the skimmer you're good. My skimmer performs well. The only downside is I can't use a hairnet to filter out smaller debris.

My skimmer's body is not tapered and is designed specifically for the Pentair/Aladdin basket. You may be able to find a basket that works with your skimmer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.