wacky chem readings crystal clear pool (EDIT _ BAD TEST KIT)

justin_huffman

LifeTime Supporter
May 21, 2012
Pennsylvania
EDIT: Its confirmed my test kit was contaminated either by heat/cold or just plain old age. In any case Im leaving the original thread unedited to illustrate how important keeping test kits current, perhaps even fresh kit every year. The values for pH CYA and FC tests were inaccurate, all due to bad test kit. I learned my lesson as i was adding ridiculous amounts of clorox because i thought my cya was high when it wasnt. I clearly have micro-orgs that need SLAM'ed but now that i have the fresh test kit ill be able to complete the SLAM. thanks everyone :)

So i opened my pool, a wee cloudy and walls were a bit slimy (winter cover blew off for a few days in march)

shocked with what bleach i had on hand and tested the water.

CYA was 100 and im baffled as to how that got in there. i did use some dichlor shock in the closing last fall.
TA was 160 so i lowered pH to about 7.0 and started with muratic acid. aerating with the return for pH... that is still in progress
The pool is using up a gallon a day of 8.25% sams club clorox and every morning my fc is 0. I know its supposed to be much higher based on my cya but for now im kind of in a holding pattern til the refills for my kit arrive. CC has been 0.
CH is kind of low, 150.

I havnt attempted a slam because im short on some test supplies, maybe theyll arrive today idk but for now, does is seem
accurate that i do indeed have some organics that are eating up the fc ?

Also do test supplies go bad? with all the odd readings im getting i wonder if temperature or age takes a toll on the tft100 kit. thanks all :)

Re: wacky chem readings crystal clear pool

Yes testing supplies go bad, they should be stored in a cool dry place, avoid excess heat and avoid freezing, even then the shelf life on some of them is only about 2 years

Re: wacky chem readings crystal clear pool

Im not sure what the dilution method is a variation on the instructions from the tft kit. but yes i fill the bottle to mark, then fill with r013 and fill the tube til the black dot is gone. However I am suspect at the age of the testing reagents. THey were bought new in may of 2012 which is at the end of their shelf life. New reagents scheduled to arrive today. Heck I may have no problems at all:p:p:crazy::crazy:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.