VS pump setting with gas heater

abfab

Gold Supporter
Nov 12, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I have a natural gas heater. When the pump runs on low there isn't enough pressure for the heater to work (I get low flow message). In the past I manually turned the pump to a higher rpm, turned on the heater and waited. We like the pool to be 88-90 so this can take a while especially early/late in season. We don't have a solar cover but am thinking of getting one this year.

This year I am thinking of having the heater run more consistently so we always have warm water. I was thinking of scheduling the pump run on high overnight and low during the day as our hydro rates are higher during day/afternoon. Will these low flow messages damage the heater over time? I know some people think the pump only needs to run overnight but I prefer to have my pool constantly circulating. What is the best approach? Our heater is only a year old.

I assume you have no form of automation. If you do, I suspect you can program the pump to increase rpm when heat is called for. And you can schedule when you want that to happen.

The heater is not harmed by the pressure switch in side of it preventing it from running.
How are you getting a low flow message?

I assume you have no form of automation. If you do, I suspect you can program the pump to increase rpm when heat is called for. And you can schedule when you want that to happen.

The heater is not harmed by the pressure switch in side of it preventing it from running.
How are you getting a low flow message?
No automation. It displays a LO message.

No issues then. It will run when you schedule the pump to run at a flow rate high enough to satisfy the pressure switch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.