VS pump run times with IC15

Trying to narrow down run time/speed to adequately circulate while at the same time maintaining a high enough flow rate for the SWCG to produce enough to keep my levels around where it should be. First, I realize that an IC15 is not ideally sized for my pool, but it still works after replacing the flow switch, so I'm planning on keeping it until it's spent...will definitely replace with larger capacity when the time comes.

I, of course, relied on the pool store recommendations when I initially changed over to SWCG 6 years or so ago, and then again for the VS pump a few years ago (initially just had a single speed pump, so it was pretty simple at that point with the SWCG). What I've done in years past (at their recommendation) is tried to run the pump at a high enough setting to keep the salt cell producing all the time, usually at a lower output. However, after reading a little and hearing from you guys, I realize that the recommendations will probably be much different from this group. So...should I set the SWCG at 100% and only run the pump at 1300 rpm long enough to produce the desired amount of chlorine and then back the rpms down to the lowest setting for the rest of the day? If so, any ideas on a starting point for how long that might take on a daily basis when it gets hot in a few months?

I'm going to try to shoot for keeping CYA around 70; that's another factor...never have been really great at keeping it consistent.

Steve,

You can determine your run time based on what your cell can do... An IC15 produces .6 lbs of chlorine gas in a 24 hour period when running at 100% output.

This is about .23 ppm of FC per hour in your size pool. Most pools use 2 to 4 ppm of FC per day... Let's assume your pool uses an average of 3 ppm a day...

At .23 ppm of FC increase per hour, you will have to run your pump for at least 13 hours to generate 3 ppm of FC... with the cell at 100% You can decrease the %, but if you do you will have to increase your pump run time hours.

I personally like to run my cell 24/7 with the pump running as slow as possible, but fast enough to keep the flow switch closed.. This is 1200 rpm for me.. Then I can reduce the % of cell output so that I can still maintain the FC that I want.

I personally don't see any reason to be running the pump if you are not producing chlorine...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks Jim. That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks for the help with the numbers. Taking the pump run time out of the equation, at least initially until I get it dialed in, is probably the way to go.

I do notice when I'm running the pump that slow that the surface isn't really adequately skimmed. Do you have yours set to increase RPMs at all throughout the day to get the garbage on the top into the skimmer basket?

One other thing I've noticed with this IC15 is that sometimes I get the rapid alternating red/green light for extended periods, usually after a heavy rain. Power cycling the cell usually fixes it. Any experience with anything like that?

Steven,

I find that skimming takes longer than most people realize.. If you stand at your skimmer and expect all the things that float by to be immediately "sucked" into the skimmer, you will be disappointed. But, over time, it will happen. My system is programmed to ramp up the pump speed a few times a day to help with skimming, but to be honest I'm not sure it makes any difference. I have just been too lazy to un-program it... :p

You will just need to find the speed that works best for you..

When you first fire the cell up you should get the flashing Red/Green lights while the cell is calibrating... I have never seen it do this at any other times... and I can't think why rain would make it do it??

Are the lights on you cell on, when the pump is off?? In theory, the cell should be shut off whenever the pump is not running..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Currently the pump runs 24/7 and the cell stays on. Honestly, that IC15 has given me various problems intermittently for several years; status says it has 40% life remaining, so I'm trying to squeeze every last bit out of it. Hasn't been producing any CL in several months because of a bad flow switch that I recently replaced, and I believe everything is back in working order; but, still not sensing that the water is too cold to produce. I figure if a $59 switch replacement can give me another season of CL production, it might be worth it. Beats dumping bleach in on a weekly basis I suppose, which is what I've been doing for probably the better part of a year to be honest. I have noticed that since I replaced the flow switch, it requires a much lower flow to close than the old one, which I guess is nice.

As for power, when I originally converted to salt, I was running a single speed pump, so both the cell and pump were on an intermatic timer. I replaced the pump a few years ago and just removed the dogs from the timer, but both are powered all the time. Just last week, I rewired the timer to take the pump out of the loop so that it's always powered, and the timer still controls power to the IC15. If I ever decide to program a shut off period for the pump, I'll adjust the timer that controls power to the IC15 accordingly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.