VS or two speed pump with 115v?

Jun 19, 2015
Rochester/NH
I’m currently in the process of converting from Baquacil to chlorine so I can then install my Edge 40 SWG. My wiring is incredibly basic, a single 110 outlet with a switch to turn the current 1hp super pump on, there’s a single pole breaker in the main panel with no additional room to expand to a two pole, no timer, nothing but the outlet with a switch at the pool pad. My thoughts are to replace the single gang box with a dual gang box at the pad to add two smart WiFi outlets & use Alexa to control the pump & SWG.

The issue that I am having is finding a two speed or vs speed pump that will work on 115v, I really can’t afford to have an electrician come in at this point to rewire everything for 230v, add a sub panel, etc. What are my options at this point? Can I run the SWG with my current single speed super pump? Replace it with a vs pump? Can I just replace/retrofit a motor?

What is the volume of your New to me pool?

You can run the SWCG with the single speed pump. How many hours per day did you normally run the SS pump?

There are VS pumps that use 115V. Pentair SuperfloVS is one.

My estimate is about 20k gallons for the pool, I’ve been running the filter all day at this point as I had a lot of clean up to do to get the pool up & running, no idea what the previous owners did for run time.
I’m also considering adding a mechanical timer & would hopefully run the pool/SWG overnight every night if that’s enough to keep the pool clean.

Great. Add that volume to your signature. I would suggest getting rid of your Old Pool info in the signature. Just confuses members.

With that SWCG you will be running it about 12 hours per day in summer. So you need to know if that is an issue with your SS pump. A VS pump will have its own timer/scheduler. You would still need a timer/device to restrict power to the SWCG to only the times the pump is running.

It shouldn’t be an issue running for 12 hours a day with the current pump, it was replaced less than 2 years ago along with the filter which is why I’d hate to get rid of it for a vs pump. I’m trying to get a good basic system up & running this year so I can then eventually add/upgrade as necessary once I have some history with this pool/property.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.