vitamin C and Chlorine

Punchyp

Jun 13, 2019
Indiana
two weeks ago we added 1.5 lbs of vit C to take stains off liner, which it did well.
I took my FC down to 0 to 3 and kept it there for a week as directions stated to do before a shock/slam can be done.
I slammed and slammed and slammed and it's continuing to eat chlorine, water is clear, CYA at or just below 40, it dropped from 21.5 early morning to 6 late afternoon, the overnight loss has been 0, 1, last night it was 2 ppm lost.
My question is does the vit c cause this chlorine to get eaten up until the vit C is gone?

two weeks ago we added 1.5 lbs of vit C to take stains off liner, which it did well.
I took my FC down to 0 to 3 and kept it there for a week as directions stated to do before a shock/slam can be done.
I slammed and slammed and slammed and it's continuing to eat chlorine, water is clear, CYA at or just below 40, it dropped from 21.5 early morning to 6 late afternoon, the overnight loss has been 0, 1, last night it was 2 ppm lost.
My question is does the vit c cause this chlorine to get eaten up until the vit C is gone?
Why are you raising the chlorine above SLAM level? If your CYA is 40, then you shouldn’t be going above 16ppm for FC. That may be why it’s dropping so fast.

Another concern here is that typically owners do the SLAM first before treating for stains. Removing stains only to do a SLAM afterwards is going to cause the metals to precipitate outward again with the elevated FC level unless you dumped the water after the stain treatment.

In the future, if you have algae do the SLAM first, then treat for staining if you are keeping the same water.

wow, I'll try to clarify this, i think "she" bought vitamin C powder, the ingredient label said citric acid. i havent seen any algea this year i slammed only because my FC had gone to zero a couple times during the week where i was not supposed to elevate the F.C.
The directions on citric acid container say to let FC go to zero and PH to 7 or below before adding the powder.
I went above slam level one night because i'm not there during the day to montitor the FC and hold it at 16 unitl i get home and can do the overnight loss test.
I was not aware that too much FC will cause rapid FC loss like that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.