Visual Flow Indicator

Feb 28, 2017
Elk Grove
Long time lerker, never posted. Thanks in advance for all the help!

First Question: Last summer Installed solar heating on my pool and Im revising some of the plumbing this spring to be more efficient. Also replacing old single speed pump with a VS. On the return from the solar I would like to have a visual flow indicator as I dial in the pump speed. Id like the minimum amount of water (GPM) and pressure through the panels. Last year I had many leaks and blowouts and I believe due to pressure issues. Below is a link to a flow meter but it seems very expensive for my needs. Anyone rig anything up similar?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SAP811W/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3LJLMXXW7B35D

Second Question: Currently I have a 3-way valve after the filter and pump which can devert water to the solar on the roof or back to the pool (bypassing the solar). Would it be more effective to run the bypass before the filter and after the pump? Seems like the filter provides some resistance that I could eliminate. I have a pentair clean and clear Plus 420 (4 cartridge filter).

Welcome to TFP,

I have one of those, and although I don't "need" it, I love having it. Dont know what else is out there, but this is a nice add on, and made well. I wouldn't bypass the filter if it was my system.

Welcome to TFP!

You want as much water going through the solar as the panels can handle. This gives maximum heating efficiency.

If you bypass from before the filter, you'll be sending dirty water through the panels and back to the pool. Not a good plan.

Thanks Patrick_B and JohnT. I agree it would be really nice to see GPM so I can ensure Im below the point of leaking joints but enough to heat the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Ive seen in the pool places that have demonstration pumps plumbed that they have a clear piece of PVC and what looks like zip ties or string inside which indicate flow. Anyone know where to buy that?

I did forget to mention is one thing that makes flovis nice is that it csn be installed next to elbows or whatever, and thats something most in-line flow meters cant do. Most have to be so many pipe diameters distance away from fittings on piping runs. Something most pool set ups dont have is too much straight run pipe.

Thanks Everyone. I plan on putting this in the return line from the solar to the pool. Does anyone see a problem with placing it on a vertical down pipe? The spring is fairly strong so I can imagine it wont have a problem keeping the flap shut but didnt know if anyone had any thoughts.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.