Violent pump turn-off

Pool-owner

Jul 12, 2015
Edison/NJ
Hi - As some of you commented, I might have gotten too powerful a pump. ( I recently replaced a broken Hayward 1.0 with a 1.5 super-pump) The plus is that it is cleaning the pool faster through the Kreepy Kauly.

However, I noticed that every time I turn the pump off, a great deal of pressure was released, and so powerful that it pushes some water out from the pipe connector between the 2 valves (which usually don't leak when the pump is running). It looked like the pump was trying to spit out a large amount of water quickly.

And as a result of releasing most of the water - when I turn it back on again (without opening the pump cover or doing anything to release pressure), it would take 10 to 20 secs or so for enough water to pour back into the pump well to gain enough pressure again. It didn't happen to my old pump (1.0 hp). If I didn't touch anything, the pressure was retained and the pump would still be "primed" and ready to go.

Should I be worrying about the turn off? and the leaks on the connectors? Is there anything I can do to make the turn off less "violent"?

Thank you!

Likely you have a suction side leak or maybe your pump is emptying your skimmer too fast. Either way, you are getting air in the filter. The pump compresses the air and when the pump shuts off, the air expands and pushes water out. It can be violent enough to blow the skimmer basket out of the skimmer.

The spot where the water is coming out is likely your leak. It leaks air when the pump is on because the inlet to the pump is low pressure.

Reactions: JamesW and jblizzle
Likely you have a suction side leak or maybe your pump is emptying your skimmer too fast. Either way, you are getting air in the filter. The pump compresses the air and when the pump shuts off, the air expands and pushes water out. It can be violent enough to blow the skimmer basket out of the skimmer.

The spot where the water is coming out is likely your leak. It leaks air when the pump is on because the inlet to the pump is low pressure.

Hi John - Yes, I noticed that the skimmer baskets are sometimes blown out of place. So If I understand you correctly, there is a leak on the suction side. When the pump is on, air is drawn in. When the pump is turned off, the air expands and has to go somewhere, creating pressure, pushing out water and knocking out the baskets. Hence, I should seal the leaks then. I am also connecting the kreepy krauly to one of the skimmer (single hole only). But it should not an issue right? Thanks!

PS - when we opened the poop this time, because we had to fix the motor, we might have neglected to let all the air out of the sand filter before closing the valve on top. Would this be part of the problem? Can I release the air out now after the fact? Thanks,

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.