Vinyl Pool Tear at the Bead

newpoolmom2

May 17, 2019
nj
We purchased a home with an in-ground pool last year. We just opened the pool this week and there is a tear in the liner where the bead is. Is there any way to repair it for this season? The pool store wasn't sure if vinyl patching would work since the tear is at the bead. They also recommended duct tape, gorilla tape or even trying flex tape. Can anyone help or have had this problem before?

Attachments

• Pool1.jpg
    Pool1.jpg
    362.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Pool2.jpg
    Pool2.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 38
It looks like the liner is pretty brittle. I would try the gorilla tape for now and keep an eye on it because it will probably get worse over the summer. Corners are high stress areas so keep an eye on the other corners as well and start saving for a new liner.

I would just tape the tear. I don't think it will hold on concrete. The main function of the tape is to reinforce the area that is still intact so it tears more slowly, and to prevent water from splashing behind the liner. Extend the tape 2" either side of the tear. Once it touches the liner don't try to reposition the tape, just put another piece over the top if needed.

Reactions: bmoreswim
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.