Vinyl Over concrete pool. Cracks in concrete with water coming in through cracks

m1k_3

May 17, 2019
Ottawa
Our Vinyl liner was floating and the PB removed our old liner. Around the perimeter of the deep end about three to four feet above the bottom there is a crack and water is flowing in. This pool was just installed last year and has not been used. The PB has dug a trench and we have put a sump pit in beside the pool. This sump pit is not as deep as the cracks where the water is coming in. Our water table has dropped some so hopefully this trench that has been dug will be able to alleviate the pressure and prevent a liner from floating again. Anybody have thoughts on cracks in the concrete with water coming in? You can visibly see water coming in like a small water fall. Can this concrete be patched ?

some pics would help. is this a concrete wall pool with a vermiculite bottom or concrete bottom? and did I read that right that the pool was just built a year ago? the only way to do a nice hole is with a mini excavator, but not 10' deep. you would have to use an auger on a skidsteer or a mini X and they dont do too well on rocky earth. the hole needs to be at least 24"round so you can wrap the hole in quality filter fabric, install the 10"PVC stand pipe, and fill the outside with clean gravel. you have to drill holes all over the PVC standpipe first, they dont come perforated. I would probably do 2 pits at least and if you cant gravity drain them you need to setup sump pits with electric nearby and drain pipe. you can do it as a temporary fix for when you get groundwater issues, but I would do something permanent and leave pumps up higher in the standpipe and always on. I have 3 on my pool they are on 24/7 Im practically in a swamp

It has a concrete bottom with steel walls by the looks of it (as is ours). Not a concrete pool (at least not how I would define a concrete pool). Our vinyl liner pool also has a crack in the concrete (on the slope between the shallow and deep end). The company replacing our liner has placed a big pump over the bottom drain to suck from the ground water that keeps flowing through the crack so it dries out and they can patch it. The crack has likely been there for years but our liner never floated or had issues when the pool was full. We were just changing the liner due to it being really old (probably original to the pool which is 30 years old). Had no idea about the crack before they took off the liner.

Pics won't load but video works. That's a lot of water but it's an easy place to go if your water. It was dry when they did the floor why didn't they hang liner already? If cracks are tight some Portland will fill it and set liner. A shallow French drain isnt gonna help much needs to be at least to concrete collar. I'm guessing you had a lot of rain lately

Pics won't load but video works. That's a lot of water but it's an easy place to go if your water. It was dry when they did the floor why didn't they hang liner already? If cracks are tight some Portland will fill it and set liner. A shallow French drain isnt gonna help much needs to be at least to concrete collar. I'm guessing you had a lot of rain lately

No rain for days. We are just on a high water table. They ripped out the liner because it did not install properly later year so that was already going to be done prior to having the floating liner issue. The french drain is as deep as the steal walls. Approx 42 inches and trenched to the back of the yard.

there is going to be times of the year like mid summer where the water table will drop naturally, thats probably when the floor was done. if you look around the deep end floor you may see a circular "patch" where they had a pump installed while doing the floor and removed last minute to hang the liner. you have a PB and he should be working to fix the issues. if at the time of dig they hit major groundwater the depth should have been changed or a sump bed should have been installed under the deep end floor piped to a pump or the pool pump. your drain will help with the liner floating thats deep enough to prevent it again, but wont help with this deep water issue

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.