Aug 31, 2017
Ottawa, ON
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I always keep my pool free from any leaf or other debris, and the water balanced properly. Our vinyl liner has pale green staining in patches over the bottom and at the base of the walls. Frankly, many people would not even notice, depending upon the light, but I know the pool intimately and I do! The staining has got progressively worse over the years. The only metal in the pool is a stainless steel sides / plastic treads pool ladder. Whenever I look at forums about this issue the pictures shown are always of some leaf-strewn swamp resulting in staining. The only time there are big leaves on our liner is if they fall in to the water when I remove the cover in the spring to open the pool. They are literally in contact with the vinyl no more than an hour or so. Any ideas would be much appreciated! ThanksPXL_20210825_155245904~3.jpg

Last edited:
Hey amills!! Couple of thoughts. Has it been your pool for a long time ? Have you ever used any copper based algecides or any of the ‘extra blue’ chlorox chemicals ? Or any chemical with some sort of the word blue on the label ? (Blue means copper).

Does it clean with vitimin C or a puck/tab ?

If it doesn’t feel different in the stained areas and cannot be cleaned it may be stains or algae under the lining showing through. When groundwater floats the liner it may leave some nasty stuff under there. Here is a pic of my liner after I tore it out. The liner and ground both had a few days to dry out here but when I first did it they were both dark green and 1/4 inch thick. I could break full chunks of from both. It was a thick liner so I didn’t see it but it can show through the thinner ones 06CE678C-EC55-43EB-95C1-FBF16A55257A.jpeg

Hey amills!! Couple of thoughts. Has it been your pool for a long time ? Have you ever used any copper based algecides or any of the ‘extra blue’ chlorox chemicals ? Or any chemical with some sort of the word blue on the label ? (Blue means copper).

Does it clean with vitimin C or a puck/tab ?

If it doesn’t feel different in the stained areas and cannot be cleaned it may be stains or algae under the lining showing through. When groundwater floats the liner it may leave some nasty stuff under there. Here is a pic of my liner after I tore it out. The liner and ground both had a few days to dry out here but when I first did it they were both dark green and 1/4 inch thick. I could break full chunks of from both. It was a thick liner so I didn’t see it but it can show through the thinner ones View attachment 367082
We've had ownership of the pool since 2004, the liner was replaced in about 2008. We haven't needed to use algaecide for years. We installed a SWG about 3 or 4 years ago and, I have to say, the slight staining has got worse since then. I will have a go with a vitamin C tablet next time I'm in the pool. Thank you

We've had ownership of the pool since 2004, the liner was replaced in about 2008. We haven't needed to use algaecide for years. We installed a SWG about 3 or 4 years ago and, I have to say, the slight staining has got worse since then
Ok great. The history helps !! There is no telling what’s growing under the liner 13 years later that may be lightly showing through.

Have your water tested at the pool store for metals. They get that one close enough and if you are close to the threshold it may be finally staining.

check out post #11. There are many similar threads/posts/pics if you have a moment to search.

Ok great. The history helps !! There is no telling what’s growing under the liner 13 years later that may be lightly showing through.

Have your water tested at the pool store for metals. They get that one close enough and if you are close to the threshold it may be finally staining.
Thank you

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.