Vinyl liner rip

Apr 18, 2014
Fayetteville, AR
My pool came with my house and I estimate it is about 15-20 years old and probably has the original vinyl liner. It’s a little faded but looks good overall. Today it has finally thawed after a month in the deep freeze and a massive rip had appeared at the water level on the deep end. I don’t know how deep the ice was but I imagine it was at least 6-8 inches thick if not much thicker. The rip branches out from a single point in five lines approximate a foot long each way.

Is this something that can be repaired? I doubt it honestly...but felt the need to ask. Most repairs I’ve seen are much smaller. The liner was already old and while seemingly in good shape is probably due for replacement. Is replacement something a reasonably handy person with zero experience can do with a couple helpers? Is the cost savings worth the effort?

Yeah time to replace the liner :( You MIGHT be able to use a large sheet of repair stuff but I don't think it will hold up long and it will be a pain to place quick enough.

There are MANY you tubes on how to replace a liner. The most important thing is getting the proper liner. Measure 100 times then do it again before you order. There are many videos on that as well.

The warmer the air/sun is the easier it will be to work the new liner.

Some beers and food on the grill will help get the liner in LOL

Kim:kim:

Gorilla Glue makes a clear, pliable repair tape. I would use that to prevent further tearing until you can replace the liner in the coming month.
(I used it for much longer, in order to save up for a new liner + installation) My tear was only 6" long.

Thanks for the advice guys. I’ll try the gorilla glue solution until the weather warms, but I don’t know how much it would even help there is so much water behind the liner already that the edges are quite far apart and my pool level dropped about 5 inches overnight.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.