Vinyl Liner over Old Plaster --- Saw on Mike Holmes' show

Jun 19, 2011
Anyone know anything about putting a vinyl liner over an old gunite pool? I saw this on a Mike Holme's show and was intrigued. I can't seem to locate any info on the process or trade name for it, or any dealers in my Northern Virginia location.

Ive read about it being done on pool remodels where the pool owner wanted to keep the costs down.
Ive also read about pool builds where the pool shell is built from Cinder Block, which in my mind would be similar to installing a liner in a plaster or gunite shell. There are a few members on this forum whose pool was build this way.

There isnt any trade process name for it as far as I know.

As long as the surface under the vinyl is smooth this works out just fine. However, I don't really recommend it. Once the pool is built, plaster and vinyl have very similar long term costs. Re-plastering costs more, but you do it less often. Most people who have an option prefer to stick with plaster. It is a tiny bit more work to keep the chemistry balanced, but otherwise it is lower maintenance and most people prefer both the feel and appearance of plaster.

Well, I need to replaster in the next year or so, and that liner is looking awfully attractive. My current plaster is largely intact --- a few voids have developed --- but I am looking at $8K -$10K to replaster. I certainly like the LOOK of a plaster pool and ours is now about 10 years old --- we've had a good run on this plaster, primarily because I really keep after the chemistry and use the methods described here. BUT, when I think of that once or twice a day brush down on new plaster, chasing the chemistry until the plaster matures, and the cost, that liner method begins to look interesting enough to investigate.

Installing a Liner in a plaster pool will mean -somehow- installing a liner track. The only way that comes to mind at the moment, is to remove the deck, install the track, then install a new deck. This would be quite expensive.

Unless you are doing a total renovation of the deck, I really dont see much of a cost savings in installing a viny liner instead of re-plastering.
I suppose its possible that there is another way to install a track in a plaster pool. People can be quite ingenous. If there is another way, I would like to know what it is.

You will also probably have to get a new light niche for sure. Somehow also, it will have to be figured out how to seal off the skimmer. Might have to even replace it.

I wish I had seen that episode of Mike Holmes. He always 'makes it right!'. LOL.

Also, I suppose your pool has steps, maybe a bench in the pool too? The cost of a vinyl liner increases quite considerably when you start adding steps, and benches to the mix. Between installing a track (close to 1000$ just for materials) and even if there's another way than replacing a deck to install it..... + the cost of a truly customized liner, 4000$ and up, plus the installation of it, I can easily see this approaching the cost of new new plaster job.

And with a vinyl liner, there is always the risk of puncturing it, or a seam seperating at some point.

I dont work in the pool biz, so my thoughts may be way off base. Certainly if you are interested, you should investigate it with a reputable Pool Company.

Well, I need to replaster in the next year or so, and that liner is looking awfully attractive. My current plaster is largely intact --- a few voids have developed --- but I am looking at $8K -$10K to replaster. I certainly like the LOOK of a plaster pool and ours is now about 10 years old --- we've had a good run on this plaster, primarily because I really keep after the chemistry and use the methods described here. BUT, when I think of that once or twice a day brush down on new plaster, chasing the chemistry until the plaster matures, and the cost, that liner method begins to look interesting enough to investigate.

I live in Southern California and all the quotes I got were less than $5k to replaster our pool. Closer to $4k actually for white plaster. You don't necessarily need to replace tile or coping to do it.
Personally I would much rather have plaster than any other alternative. Believe me we looked at all sorts of options to try and bring our pool back to life. In the end, plaster won and I'm darn glad it did.

You can use tapcons to put on side mount single or dual track to hold the liner. You have to use faceplates and gaskets around returns, skimmers, lights etc.... To mount faceplates you would drill the appropriate holes and use stainless steel masonry screws. I have done about 15 of these type of installs and by the time you add everything up it usually a $4500 - $7000 job. Most plaster jobs here start at $8000 and go up from there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.