Vinyl Liner for Inground Pool

MMC13OSL

Jun 14, 2023
Medway, MA
Hi, we just installed a new in ground vinyl liner pool. We had a stamped concrete patio installed this past week. The guys came to seal the concrete last weekend and we think sealant dripped down edge of pool on to the liner. The decorative border on the liner where we think sealant got on to, took away the pattern - about 10 inches wide. Does anyone know that sealant can discolor/damage vinyl liners? We spent a ton of money on this pool and now this happens.

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Wow, that is very disappointing to hear. You must be a bit upset, and I suspect the concrete company is putting their hands up in the air like ...... "what"? :hammer: At this point you're wondering if the (assumed) acidic properties of the sealant may have caused permanent damage to the liner itself correct? Can you post a pic or two of the area? Does it feel any different to the touch?

I'll tag @JoyfulNoise for his thoughts as well. Stand by .......................................

Also see ----------------------> Pool Care Basics

It depends on what type of sealer was used. If it was a solvent based sealer then it likely had xylene in it as one of the solvent components. Xylene can easily damage vinyl and remove any printed patterns. It’s similar to the chemicals used in PVC pipe primer and glues. I would be somewhat concerned that the solvent has weakened the liner in that area and, if it has, that area is going to likely to develop tearing or cracks.

Very sorry to hear this. There is no fixing this so the only solution, sadly, is replacing the liner. Whoever hired the concrete contractor needs to have them make it right. They ought to have business insurance to cover these kinds of issues.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.