Vinyl Liner Feels Like Sandpaper

geno1005

Aug 30, 2015
Berea, KY
I'm not sure whether this is the right section to address this or not. When I took the cover off the pool to open it last Saturday I noticed that everything in the pool was covered with something that feels like sandpaper. It has now been one week, the water has lost the algae color, but is still cloudy and the rough surface hasn't budged. It will come off if you scratch gently with your fingernails but so far haven't found a brush that's obviously safe for the liner than will touch it.

I'm attempting to bring the CYA levels up...buying more stabilizer today, I know it's too low...but otherwise my readings are:

Chlorine 10 (the new kit I bought is a color match instead of drops...I'm having trouble reading it...the last 3 colors all look the same to me)
Ph -- 8.0
Alkalinity 75
CYA <10

Any help would be appreciated.

You also will need to get a proper test kit. I suggest the TF-100 A proper test kit is needed to get the accurate water chemistry results needed to follow the TFP protocols.

I had ordered the Taylor Test kit every year....when it arrived this year everything else was the same, but instead of the powder and adding the drops, the chlorine test is all 3 different drops in the smaller tube in this one. I struggle to see the difference in the top end of the scale. Those 'shades' of red are tough for me to see. I work around it with ph by lowering it to a lower color and then adjusting back to what it was...but I haven't figured that out for chlorine yet.

If I did the test correctly, I believe my calcium hardness to be 50.

Thank you for the offer to help.

Your test results do not add up for calcium scale.

Get a sample of the material from the liner if you can. Put a drop of acid or vinegar on the material to see if it fizzes.

Sorry you got the wrong kit. But it will hamper your ability to manage your pool water chemistry.

The test kit had all the same chemicals EXCEPT a different Chlorine test and looked the same on Amazon. Surprise! 8:(

Doesn't seem nearly as accurate for sure. I've ordered 'refills' for the old system that I understood, but presume it will be a few days before it gets here. I will attempt the test that you suggested. Just in case a picture of the culprit would be of any helping in diagnosing the problem, I snapped this pic of the part that's above the waterline (from over the winter).

If it matters, this will only be the third full year for the liner....we had it installed near the end of the 2017 pool season.

Thanks again...much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_9125.jpg
    IMG_9125.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 36
Great. Get your pH down to 7.2 using muriatic acid. See if the material begins to come off.

In the future consider using TFTestkits.net for your test kit refill needs. They will be sure you get the right thing.

I scratched the mystery substance from above the waterline...it comes off an a powder, so it's impossible to capture in the water. When we put acid on it, it seemed to just float...could not see any evidence that it was fizzing. We tried several times...couldn't see anything.

Thanks!

I still had 'acid' on my mind from your previous post...I meant 'we poured vinegar'...not acid...presume that doesn't change anything?

I'm going to make a run to get more stabilizer and something to start lowering the ph. We will try the bleach also.

Thanks for the advice on the test kit also. Will do that next time. Appreciate the help!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Because of the small amount I typically need, I've only used the Walmart 'ph lower' stuff to lower ph. Is that the same thing? I switched to using bleach based on the advice of this forum but my D- in my only chemistry class leaves me struggling to understand the actual chemistry behind of this. I just rely on the math part and pour in however much it says! 8:) It's probably more expensive that way but its typically a bottle a year max. If that won't work for this, where might one get actual muratic acid in my relatively small town?

I'm assuming the walmart stuff is some sort of granules? It will lower pH but it will also add sulfites, which can contribute to calcium sulfite nodule formation on your liner. You should be able to find muriatic acid (MA) in the paint section of any hardware store. Walmart may even have it. You want full strength, not "safe" or "fumeless" MA. If you have not used MA before the smell is strong and you should avoid breathing in the fumes as much as possible. Try and position yourself so the wind is blowing fumes away from you. Wear your mask while you pour it into the pool, and store it away from bleach and other chemicals.

I have used one bottle of the Walmart stuff so far (in the last couple of days) to get the ph down to 8.0 where it is now, if that's going to be an issue. The word acid had always intimidated me to the point that I was afraid to tackle it, unlike, bleach, Borax and baking soda which I understood. I'll be brave and give it a try. Thanks

Good Morning...still scale that's tough to get off...water still very cloudy (can't see the detail of the liner on the 3' end. Eight days since we pulled the cover off last Saturday.

I think I've done the things that were suggested buy I may have missed a step.

Chlorine -- Between 7.5 and 10 (I can't tell anything with this crazy test kit I accidentally bought...it's not as red as the top which is 10 and it's more red than 5. Between there the colors all look the same to me and change when I change light between indoors and outdoors)
Free Chlorine -- See Total Chlorine...didn't see any noticeable change in color if that helps. Replacement for old powder plus drops Taylor stuff that I understand arriving as soon as tomorrow, no later than Wednesday.
CYA -- Now 50
Ph--Down to 7.2
Alkalinity -- 70 to 80
Calcium Hardness -- 40

I have maintained a high chlorine level for 3 days and have brushed the pool twice in the last 36 hours.

Thanks again for the advice...

Now it is wait until you get the FAS-DPD FC test kit and can follow the SLAM Process.

Read that article. Stock up on liquid chlorine. Keep brushing. What reagent does this kit you have now use for pH testing?

Thank you...how do I figure out what reagent is in the bottles? I don't see it on the bottles and even a Google search didn't lead me to anything I understood.

I started buying this Taylor kit every year on the recommendation of the nice folks on this forum when I switched from Softswim 5 years ago, but I'm pretty much 'paint by numbers'. I've never known what chemicals were in any of them, I just do what the numbers say (per my advanced lack of chemistry understanding). The ph bottles are Taylor R0004, R0005 & R0006.

The worldwide shortage of toilet paper and chlorine is leaving me on a constant search to keep from running out of chlorine already. I've exhausted (as least for now) my big box store's supply of sanitizer (10% stuff it says) and haven't seen a gallon bottle of chlorine in a cleaning aisle since February...and even then, the signs say I couldn't buy but 2 if they had it. What's my 'backup' if I get into this and can't find enough liquid chlorine? I'm down to 9 bottles of the 10% stuff and there weren't any more in the aisle when I left yesterday.

If I understand the SLAM instructions I need to get the pool to a 20 chlorine reading at a 50 CYA....which just getting there to start would pretty much deplete what I have...I'm not sure where the next bottles are coming from. What can be my Plan B?

Sorry for so many questions...I appreciate everyone's patience and help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.