Vinyl liner fading

Jul 17, 2012
Forest, VA
I have had this liner 3 years. I have used BBB for 11 years. As you can see from the pic my liner is fading pretty bad. Is this normal using BBB? Or am i doing something wrong? With full sun 9 hours a day my cya is 40-50 and FC remains 6-8.

Attachments

• 20191011_093801_HDR.jpg
    20191011_093801_HDR.jpg
    700.2 KB · Views: 58
It is hard to tell. Each year, I usually take a picture of the liner (new cut piece) in the same spot to compare year after year. This year did not get around to it. But here is something that I put together. And yes, liners do fade, so if you have a new piece, I would compare against even the border. Is the border clean? Can it just be a little dirty? Appears to be fading faster than normal. Also, you will have to find out who made the liner and contact them regarding the situation. Unless you have others to compare, this one may be tricky. Maybe someone else will chime in and provide feedback.

Tad:

I will take a picture in the spring and update this thread upon opening it. I will bet you that the liner has faded even more. My CYA and levels are about the same as yours, but from my understanding the CYA/FC relationship should not have that much of an impact or speed up the process that much quicker. Now, if your levels were always at SLAM because of heavy activity, this could be a different story. So in the end, it appears my liner has faded in line with yours.

My liner is 2.5 years old and here is the fading. Hard to see with water in the pool but pretty obvious with the water drained down to winter level. I asked the company that closed my pool this year if that looks normal and they said it does. They said all liners fade and they have seen worse.

Attachments

• 07600519-6E98-4E37-BA07-F7413BC8572D.jpeg
    07600519-6E98-4E37-BA07-F7413BC8572D.jpeg
    647.5 KB · Views: 50
I looked at your pic expecting to see a blue liner. Blue is a difficult color to obtain and it fades the fastest. But your liner is tan so I was surprised at how far it has faded! That said you can blame a lot of fading on sun exposure, I believe? Can you check your liner warranty about fading? You might have a case for recovery, if its deemed excessive.

Maddie :flower:

If it was faded due to sun, the water line would make no difference though, wouldn't it?

All of these are showing the fade at the water line....has to be fading by chemical.

I've always kept my FC to CYA ratio as well.
My liner is like this too first noticed at the beginning of season 3, though some of it is stained from iron. It's that perfect medium blue
color that fades much faster than other blue pigments. I'll probably just go with a pure
white liner next time.

Thanks everyone for the replies. The liner is tan with black in it as well. The top of it is likely dirty which makes the fading seem worse but its fading any place that touches the water. So i assume chemical fade. I thought bc my FC that i run at 6-8 is higher than most might be causing it. I always pour in over the return jet while running. Its just a shame to spend $3200 on a liner and it fade in 3 years. I love the look of the darker liner with the aqua water but next time ill think twice about it. Do other methods not cause fading? And with all this technology, why is there no fade proof liner? Maybe ill invent it.

In the end, nothing is made of standards like 25 + years ago. If liners lasted 20 + years, companies would not be in business. I can just tell you that my old front door needed to be painted because of how quickly the sun wold fade the paint. Eventually, the door had to be replaced. Now, every 3 months, no matter what I add Armor All, and the color is still there 6 years later. When the shine starts disappearing, I add another coat. I think if the industry could figure out a way to protect the liner, one would be an overnight millionaire. There have been articles that claim that higher chlorine levels fade the liner, but I would assume that the dye and pigmentation would be removed, more than fading.

The sun is very powerful and destroys things very quickly. I left a Home Depot Orange bucket outside for the winter. The bucket was destroyed from the sun in less than 6 months. I still feel that the sun is the biggest culprit.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.