TLark

Apr 22, 2021
Fort Wayne, IN
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Been lurking on this site for a long time, trying to soak up as much knowledge from all you folks as possible. Figure it’s time to contribute…
After getting quotes from some local PB’s ($$$), and learning how far out they are on builds (1 year +), we decided to buy a kit from Pool Warehouse and do it ourselves.
I did have a friend who installed his own pool a couple years ago, and also had a couple neighbors pools installations that I was able to stalk and learn quite a bit…combine that with the info on here from you fine people, and I wasn’t exactly going into this blind.
Ordered the kit in January, it was delivered in April, but several wall frame pieces were heavily damaged. Replacements showed up in June. Started digging June 29.
We’re about 2 weeks in and not as far along as I’d like…mostly due to weather. It’s been abnormally wet. Normally, July here means the grass is brown and everything is bone dry…not this year. Day 1 of digging got cut short due to storms, which continued the following day, and it ended up being day 4 before it dried up enough to continue. Have barely been able to get anything done this week due to more rain.
Found a guy to dig who also digs for some local pool builders, so having someone who’s dug pools before was very helpful.
Got the walls up and leveled (using roofing shingles to level worked well). We learned the hard way to not just leave wall panels standing up unbraced when it’s windy out. Had several sections bolted together, they blew over and bent as they fell, needed some straightening.
We got full width steps, which I’m sure we’ll really enjoy, but assembly was a challenge. Poor hole alignment meant needing to use a quite a bit of persuasion to get bolts in. Also, apparently Hydra Pools has some optional step add-ons that we didn’t get, but the step pieces are pre-punched for them, leaving us with extra holes that need plugged to protect the liner from getting pushed through the holes.
Local PB’s around here all install the plumbing and pour it into the collar concrete, so figured that was good enough for me. Pouring the collar was the most difficult part so far…heat index was 99 and it was no joke, especially shoveling the concrete up under the steps. We have friends with high school aged boys looking to earn extra $$ in the summer, so it’s given us some inexpensive labor. Like everyone on here has said, this is a big project and a lot of work.
Have 60 tons of pea gravel sitting in the yard, ready to backfill if it ever stops raining.0411A706-E1AE-4BCA-98D2-0BD4B2C574E7.jpegC281D22B-5001-4124-A9DE-EA8BE05FB9C6.jpeg9D548909-8249-49BB-8271-43F03C4D74D8.jpeg98EE218E-2AEE-4BEC-A466-57795B319C6F.jpegC22D04F5-331A-4319-8651-8787585BBED6.jpeg4CC8DE94-552D-4C02-9561-FA564305C5E7.jpeg

Thanks for sharing the pics. I'm trying to learn everything I can from these DIY threads and I appreciate everyone who takes the time to share their experience.

A couple of questions:
  • What size of pool is that?
  • Did you have a truck come in for the concrete collar or did you mix and dump it yourself?
  • I see you have deck braces on the sides and piers at the top and bottom. How does one decide what they need for additional support? I've seen lots of pool build video where it looks like neither are used.

You need a truck foe the collar, a small pool needs 5 yards that's 5 pallets of 80# bags, not worth it amd more expensive too. For support it depends on what your doing for a deck and backfilling with. With a stone backfill you dont need pvc tubes

Reactions: Sean ATX
Pool is 20x40. I had a truck bring the concrete…we used 7 yards, that’s too much to mix manually. Like Jimmy said, the pvc tubes aren’t necessary with stone backfill. The brackets aren’t really necessary either with stone backfill and a concrete deck like we’re doing…but I’m an engineer and it’s my nature to overkill things so that’s why we ended up with stone backfill, brackets, and pvc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.