Missouri
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I'm struggling with my steps decision! I have a rectangle, 18x40'. 3.5' to 8.5' is the plan for depth.

I love the look of steps all the way across the shallow end. Does anyone regret that choice? My hesitations with steps all the way across are (1) are the steps a good alternative to a bench for seating? and (2) with the steps all the way, there wouldn't be a "wall" on the shallow end against which to push off. I don't need it for lap swimming (putting a Fastlane in the deep end), but I don't think I've swum in a pool with steps all the way across the shallow and wonder what I'll miss.

Would I rather have a tanning shelf and steps next to it? Would I then regret losing part of the shallow end for the shelf?

Maybe steps next to a bench?

I'm trying to keep lots of seating options, and I'm hoping the full-length steps would do that...but it's not quite the same as a bench.

Help! Would love to see pictures, too. My PB's standard is steps on diagonal in the corner. I could then put a corner bench on other side, but that's not really enough seating...

We’re probably going to be redoing our vinyl pool next year. How do they do the tanning shelf so it’s not slick? The bottom of our vinyl pool would be kind of dangerous to stand on in shallow water.

We have full-width vinyl over steps. My second step is 44" wide, so I have a 44" wide x 16' long ledge that is about 15" water depth. Perfect for kids to play, great spot to stand and jump into shallow end to catch a ball, great spot to put one of those cheapie adirondack chairs.

43719450620_ff11df7d5f_k.jpg

43719453600_5143495f99_k.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Our liner is GLI, and they use "sure step" on all steps/benches. It is lightly textured, not so much that anyone would ever notice unless they were paying attention, but it definitely makes for a better grip and not slick.

I too like the look of stairs all the way across. I don't have it but wish I did. I have a roman end that's a bench in my deep end. To do a roman end that was stairs side to side was another $2,500 so I had to control costs. If you're looking for a lot of seating I'd focus on the deep end for that. 3.5' is so shallow people won't mind standing up against the wall so I'd do all stairs in the shallow end. People can always sit on them if they want. You'll get so much more use out of the deep end if you put seating there. People will sit, swim out and treat water for a bit then go back to the bench. In my pool the adults often sit on the deep end seating and the kids play in the shallow end. With 8.5 deep I assume you planning for a board or diving rock right? My concern about vinyl over steps was that it would be slippery. But if you maintain the proper water balance that won't be an issue. I've never had a problem. Go with the textured steps as SBall mentions.

For planning purposes consider putting your returns where the benches are. It's nice to sit near one when the heater is on.

- - - Updated - - -

We have full-width vinyl over steps. My second step is 44" wide, so I have a 44" wide x 16' long ledge that is about 15" water depth. Perfect for kids to play, great spot to stand and jump into shallow end to catch a ball, great spot to put one of those cheapie adirondack chairs.

Our liner is GLI, and they use "sure step" on all steps/benches. It is lightly textured, not so much that anyone would ever notice unless they were paying attention, but it definitely makes for a better grip and not slick.
That is such a great idea about the wide step!

Oooh, thank you! LOVE these insights and pictures! Responses and more questions:

1. My vinyl (I think I'm going with Latham's Reef print, no border) does come with the textured for vinyl-over-stair options, so I'm set there. Good to know that proper chemistry will help with the slickness too.

2. I'd read about a wide second step like yours, SBall, and I'd wondered how folks liked them -- thanks for those pictures and your review! My kids are 6 and 9, but I think they'd enjoy that kind of ledge too (and so would I). Seems like a good place to perch

3. Nectarologist, I have plans for two corner benches/swim-outs in the deep end. Glad to know you think they'll get used! I want LOTS of seating. :) I had plans for a diving board, but I think I'm going to hold off for a season and see how we do without it. I'm putting the Fastlane there under where the board will/would be.

4. Also, SBall -- how do you like your concrete coping? It's lovely. Does it snag bathing suit bottoms or otherwise prevent people from wanting to sit on the side?

5. Should I do a 4' deep end instead of 3.5'? I've read different things about this...

Oooh, thank you! LOVE these insights and pictures! Responses and more questions:

5. Should I do a 4' deep end instead of 3.5'? I've read different things about this...

I would do a 4' deep instead of the 3.5'. I did and I'm glad I did. Just an fyi, it will cost more though. Mine was $900 or 1k more. Reason is it's not just more material for the wall in the shallow end. It's the entire pool. That plus a mark up for the builder. But worth it imo.

I also have a deep end bench, and so far, kids standing on the bench and kids standing on the step ledge makes a great way to throw balls back and forth and jump/catch. I love it, but I am pretty sure I would love any pool in my backyard. The concrete coping is nice. We haven't had it long enough for me to comment about snags. It is fairly smooth and dont seem to be hardly any rough edges, that being said, it only takes one to snag a swim suit. Our pool is the standard 42" walls, so water depth in shallow end is around 36". It works fine for us.

43217461710_14999d1274_k.jpg

Full length steps was something I wanted when we built our pool and we couldn’t be happier with our choice. Make sure they’re poured concrete and not the flimsy metal type as they bounce and sound awful. Also I would recommend putting lights in the risers as it really looks good at night.

Attachments

• 29E96FBC-6106-4160-B875-019505E8AC04.jpg
    29E96FBC-6106-4160-B875-019505E8AC04.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 109
  • 2BF1248B-5280-413E-A80D-19A965DE4015.jpg
    2BF1248B-5280-413E-A80D-19A965DE4015.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 108
Thanks for the poured concrete tip. I'll double check, but I think that's what I'm getting! Glad to know people are happy with their full-length steps... now to decide whether to do the extended second step... Glad to get the tips on lighting and returns!

Would love to see more pics and design reviews. I guess no one is sorry they have the full-length steps? And this might be a dumb question, but what do folks find they end up doing with the tanning ledge space? Do people put chairs/loungers there? Do kids/adults spend a lot of time playing/sitting there without chairs? I'm also worried about wear on the vinyl (but part of the reason I'm getting vinyl is so it can be replaced someday...) on tanning ledges/wide steps. I have a dog who will enjoy swimming --- he's only about 50 lbs though, and i can take care of his nails I think.

Thanks everyone!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We are in the middle of our build now and went back and forth on full length steps. We decided on an 8 x 8 splash pad on the side and halfway down the pool. Design attached. The steps are still vinyl, but just 8 ft. If you make the external to the pool length, it doesn't take away any swim area. During the dig, my wife did look and say, "hmm, why didn't we do full length again?".

Attachments

• pool 1.jpg
    pool 1.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 72
Thanks for the poured concrete tip. I'll double check, but I think that's what I'm getting! Glad to know people are happy with their full-length steps... now to decide whether to do the extended second step... Glad to get the tips on lighting and returns!

Would love to see more pics and design reviews. I guess no one is sorry they have the full-length steps? And this might be a dumb question, but what do folks find they end up doing with the tanning ledge space? Do people put chairs/loungers there? Do kids/adults spend a lot of time playing/sitting there without chairs? I'm also worried about wear on the vinyl (but part of the reason I'm getting vinyl is so it can be replaced someday...) on tanning ledges/wide steps. I have a dog who will enjoy swimming --- he's only about 50 lbs though, and i can take care of his nails I think.

Thanks everyone!

When at my sister's pool with a tanning ledge, I enjoyed sitting on the edge with my legs hanging down. That sold me on a tanning ledge.

Did your kids enjoy playing on the tanning ledge? Was the water deep enough for them to play?
Our PB recommended 1 step down then 5’ wide tanning ledge for my 5 & 6 yro to sit and play. I wonder if it’s necessary since we are not tanning ppl. I like to immerse in water that’s why we have 2 corner benches at the deep end. Our shallow end is 42” deep, I totally didn’t realize the water line would only be 36”. Which my 6yro is able to stand and swim wo floaters and 5 yro needs the arm band when we were in 36” deep water in lazy river at six flags.

I also have a deep end bench, and so far, kids standing on the bench and kids standing on the step ledge makes a great way to throw balls back and forth and jump/catch. I love it, but I am pretty sure I would love any pool in my backyard. The concrete coping is nice. We haven't had it long enough for me to comment about snags. It is fairly smooth and dont seem to be hardly any rough edges, that being said, it only takes one to snag a swim suit. Our pool is the standard 42" walls, so water depth in shallow end is around 36". It works fine for us.

43217461710_14999d1274_k.jpg

I absolutely love the decisions we made. Our second step/ledge is the most popular hangout spot in our pool, perfect depth to sit and be mostly in the water. When we have friends over, the adults are all lounging on the step/ledge. I put my adirondack chair in there, faced towards the house/window, and watch football on the tv in our den while in the pool. Kids prefer to jump off the step into the shallow end. It just works for us. Plus, I like how it looks. On a side note, the deep end bench is equally awesome. That is the kids favorite launching off point for deep end fun.

Thank you!!! I feel so much better now;) I was worried it would be too shallow and it takes a lot room, I certainly want it to be utilized. I believe it’s premise steps so my steps/ risers would be the same height as yours. How do you protect the vinyl from chair legs?

I absolutely love the decisions we made. Our second step/ledge is the most popular hangout spot in our pool, perfect depth to sit and be mostly in the water. When we have friends over, the adults are all lounging on the step/ledge. I put my adirondack chair in there, faced towards the house/window, and watch football on the tv in our den while in the pool. Kids prefer to jump off the step into the shallow end. It just works for us. Plus, I like how it looks. On a side note, the deep end bench is equally awesome. That is the kids favorite launching off point for deep end fun.

I really haven't worried about it...they are just the inexpensive resin adirondack chairs sold pretty much anywhere, and the bottoms are pretty smooth. I dont slide them around, just set it in there and sit down. While I have no way to measure it, I feel like kids jumping and running on the step/ledge is probably far more destructive than the chair...but then again, kids can destroy anything, so there's that...

Thank you both for sharing your experiences. We would preferred the stairs to be outside but because the automatic pool cover, the PB did extended the pool from 40’ to 44’ long.

@Cephrael did your insurance say anything about the diving board? We originally wanted 8’ on the deep end w a diving board cuz I have 2 boys. But when we called the insurance company they said no diving board allowed. Now I am wondering if diving rock is ok since it doesn’t spring.

We went with Roman end stairs. I like the look and it keeps the stairs out of the shallow end.

Thank you both for sharing your experiences. We would preferred the stairs to be outside but because the automatic pool cover, the PB did extended the pool from 40’ to 44’ long.

@Cephrael did your insurance say anything about the diving board? We originally wanted 8’ on the deep end w a diving board cuz I have 2 boys. But when we called the insurance company they said no diving board allowed. Now I am wondering if diving rock is ok since it doesn’t spring.
They didn’t say anything when we mentioned it. we went a little higher than we told them we were but they didn’t say anything about it.

Reactions: newpoolbuild
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.