Vindication :)

sbcpool

Mar 10, 2015
Upland, CA
I have always estimated my pool volume to be 20,000 gallons based on measuring the results of chemical additions, like CYA or salt. The pool builder was certain it was 30,000 from looking at it. Since it's a totally irregular shape (sides and bottom) I had no way to directly measure it ... until today. I just finished filling to pool and the water meter reads 21,580 gallons. Subtract my home's average daily usage and you get ~21,450 gallons.

Sorry if it's not an informative post, but after 7 years of wondering if I was right it felt good to know I was within 7%.

This is such a satisfying post! I love when there’s an opportunity to get to the bottom of things! Congratulations on figuring out your pool volume.

Reactions: magiteck
You would think every pool contractor would tell their customers to check their meters before and after the initial fill. It's free, easy, and provides very valuable information that's otherwise almost impossible to obtain.

Reactions: travelfeedsthesoul
One day when you are bored, check this out. I found it for another member back when with a similar struggle. You can adjust the up/down arrows to make as many points as you need, then move them to the appropriate measurements for your surface area. Then You just have to figure out your average depth and account for rounded bottom corners, ledges, etc. Multiply it by 7.481 (?) gallons per cu ft and BOOM. Pretty dang close.

Reactions: kul and markayash
I did that with my first fill as well (water meter). My pool ended up being around 5k gallons more than contracted for since we changed the shape on the fly on the day of the dig. My neighbor's pool was overestimated by around 10k gallons. I did basic chemical additions to figure out his size for him.

I asked my county clerk for the documents submitted as part of the pool permit and voila... 20k gallons right there :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You would think every pool contractor would tell their customers to check their meters before and after the initial fill. It's free, easy, and provides very valuable information that's otherwise almost impossible to obtain.
But then if it’s not as big as they were told the customer isn’t going to be happy and call them out on it and they can’t have that 🤪.

One day when you are bored, check this out. I found it for another member back when with a similar struggle. You can adjust the up/down arrows to make as many points as you need, then move them to the appropriate measurements for your surface area. Then You just have to figure out your average depth and account for rounded bottom corners, ledges, etc. Multiply it by 7.481 (?) gallons per cu ft and BOOM. Pretty dang close.
The average depth part was what I couldn't figure out. The shallow end is very large and wide and the deep end is much more narrow and a sudden drop. Being more the mathematical type it wasn't too difficult to see that adding x amount of chemical had y result, which pointed towards 20,000 gallons. Not too far off from 21,500.

Reactions: Newdude
I have done the water meter test when the liner was replaced. I also did the math after measuring the water flow to figure out when it should be done filling (if i guessed the volume correctly). Prior to the liner change I had a guess (33k gallons), but chemical dosing and checking the levels made me change my initial guess to around 30K. Filling after the liner replacement confirmed the 30K. The Pool Math and Pool Pal apps make it pretty easy to pinpoint the volume.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.