St. George, UT
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Live in dry southern Utah. When I have my automatic cover on, heater off and auto fill off in the winter, I notice a very slow drop in water level, about 1/4” per week. This is about 60-70 gallons per week in my pool or 1.5 tablespoons per minute. The pool cover seals pretty well other than a small gap where the end meets the wall. I open and close it 3 to 4 times a week for a short time to check and adjust chemicals but still see the drop if I am on vacation for a week. Spa, which is covered with the pool, runs 1/2 hr per day to filter, much more when feeeze protection kicks in (there is some aeration in water coming out of jets). Pool pump runs 8 hrs per day. No signs of water around the pool. Could this be evaporation even though pool is covered? if it is a leak, any way to find such a small one?

Welcome to the forum -- as Dave said, it is evaporation.

If you have a leak, you will need to add salt. Likely, your salinity is increasing, not decreasing. This is due to the salt content of the fill water and the use of muriatic acid to control pH.

Thanks! That is what I expect as well, just wasnt sure if cover should completely stop evaporation. Just starting to measure and monitor salt level with test kit so will see what happens with it. Been stable/slowly rising per ic40 reading, at least until cold weather hit and reading is dropping as expected.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.