Very low Temp Reading Digital Nano

Mar 4, 2013
Hi,

I have had an Autopilot Digital Nano for the last 3 years and it has worked great. Today when doing some maintenance I noticed that my chlorine level was low. When I checked the Digital Nano it showed that the pool temperature is 6°C (43°F) and only at 1% chlorine generation(max it will go at this low of temperature). The pool temperature is actually sitting at 30°C (86°F). I took out the sensor and measured the resistance on the temp sensor (found info on this forum) and it measured 946 ohms which is within spec but on the low end (ambient temp when measuring was approx. 24°C). Would this indicate a faulty temp sensor? I see some small cracking on the top of the tri-senosr, thinking some water might of got in it.

If I open the cable and cut the temperature wires will the Digital Nano go to a default temperature setting and allow me to generate chlorine again?

Has anyone tried cutting these tri-sensors open to see what is inside?

I live in Canada so getting a replacement could take awhile and be very pricey.

Thanks for the help,
Ryan

Just to update, I measured the resistance of the temperature sensor this morning at it measured 856 ohms (at approx 20°C) which is below the given spec. I tried disconnecting the temp sensor (easily done by pulling the pins out of the AMP connector) but the Digital Nano will not operate with out a temp sensor connected. I then wired in a 1K ohm resistor (measured at 986 ohms) at the amp connector in place of the temperature wires. This worked and got my Nano generating chlorine again. Weird thing is the temperature should stay pretty much constant with the resistor wired in but it doesn't. The temperature drops 9°C as soon as it stops generating chlorine, it then rise back up 9°C when it starts generating chlorine again. This makes setting a percentage of chlorine pretty much impossible.

Has anyone seen this temperature change when chlorinating before? Does it mean one of my main boards is bad? Any suggestions of other things to try.

Thanks,
Ryan

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.