Very high salt reading.

jlwms

Aug 13, 2022
Tulsa, OK
I have a Hayward Pro Logic salt system that is running the GLX-PCB-PRO main board. About 2 months ago, I started to get low, then very low salt readings (2000 ppm then down to 1900 ppm). Naturally I added salt only to see the ppm go up slightly to 2100 ppm. I added one more 40 bag and when there was no change, I took a sample in to have it tested. To my total amazement, the salt level wad 4800 ppm. I figured that the salt cell was failing so I purchased a new T-15 cell. Installed it and verified that the system was still configured for the T-15. I got a ppm reading of 5200 ppm with this new cell. After 5 days, the salt reading would very between 5000 and 5200 ppm. Since my original salt level was 4800, based on the water analysis I had done, I drained the pool down and added fresh water. No change in the salt reading as it would never go below 5000. I went through the calibration exercise listed in the manual several times and I checked and double checked the Volts and Amps (24.02 v and 10.08 a). According to the manual, both those numbers are within range. I then made the assumption that maybe the new salt cell was malfunctioning. I returned it for a new replacement and to make a long and frustration story shorter, there is not change other than I have seen the salt level drop to 4800 but then overnight it shot right back up to 5200. I tested the water manually just to make sure and the reading was 3800. Any suggestions as to what is going on and what can I do to fix this issue? Thanks

Volts and Amps (24.02 v and 10.08 a)
If those are accurate, then the salinity is probably much higher than you think.

Are you sure about the voltage?

It's not 40 volts, right?

You need to get a K-1766 salt test kit and a salt test meter to be really sure about what the actual salinity is.

The voltage is still reading 24.02 with 9.89 amps. I've had the water tested twice by professional pool service companies and the actual salt ppm is 3700. I have reversed the polarity several times and I am still getting ppm readings that will vary between 4800 and 5200.

Get an inline ammeter or a clamp ammeter and check the actual amperage that is going to the cell.

You can check the AC amperage from the yellow wires coming out of the transformer or the DC amperage coming out of the red or black wires from the rectifiers or from the wires going to the cell if you can access them in the cord.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.