Very High CC LEVEL

Mattiaci

Jun 7, 2020
Hatfield PA
Just looking for some reassurance. I just I figured out that my salt cell is bad and not generating chlorine. It’s entirely possible that it hasn’t been making chlorine for several weeks now. I’ve been adding some liquid chlorine after some parties and the water has always looked clear and a nice blue color. I added 4 gallons last night after the FC level was showing zero.

This morning - here’s my #’s

Ph-7.55
FC - 9.5
CC - 12.5
TA - 110
Cya - 70

I’m trying to stick with the SLAM process and added 2 more gallons of Chlorine at 9am.

We’re seeing 95-100 temps here in PA so a lot of chlorine is burning off.

Does everything seem normal? Keep SLAMING to get rid of the CC? Seems like a high number with the water looking so good. No observed algae or other issues?

How are you testing your pool water chemistry?

That level of CC is really not possible, unless the pool is covered and chemicals are added that raise the tested CC level.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Have u added any non chlorine shock (mps)?
If not then it may just be that your chlorine is consuming alot of organics or possibly testing error.
Keep w/ the SLAM Process
Slam level for 70cya is 28ppm.
FC/CYA Levels

For a successful SLAM Process you need to continue until you meet ALL 3 end of slam criteria-

You are done when:

CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
AND
the water is clear.
(Crystal Clear w/no algae dead or alive)

*Check & scrub every nook & cranny where it may hide (light niches, drain covers, ladder handrails, skimmer throats/weirs, etc.)
*Run slam level water through all water features & lines for at least a couple hours a day during the SLAM Process.
*Brush & or vac daily (this breaks up biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine)
*Backwash/clean filter when pressure rises 25%over clean pressure.

If you added things to the pool as noted above or have ammonia, then CC can get high.

Are you sure you had 25 drops to clear for the CC test?

Have u added any non chlorine shock (mps)?
If not then it may just be that your chlorine is consuming alot of organics or possibly testing error.
Keep w/ the SLAM Process
Slam level for 70cya is 28ppm.
FC/CYA Levels

For a successful SLAM Process you need to continue until you meet ALL 3 end of slam criteria-

You are done when:

CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
AND
the water is clear.
(Crystal Clear w/no algae dead or alive)

*Check & scrub every nook & cranny where it may hide (light niches, drain covers, ladder handrails, skimmer throats/weirs, etc.)
*Run slam level water through all water features & lines for at least a couple hours a day during the SLAM Process.
*Brush & or vac daily (this breaks up biofilms that algae uses to protect itself from chlorine)
*Backwash/clean filter when pressure rises 25%over clean pressure.
The only thing is haven’t done recently is clean out the filter. I will do that and change out the cartridges. I have a second set. Again, I just thought it was weird that the CC level was higher than the Fc. Is that normal?

With any CC over 1, the pool water will stink. Unless the CC is from chemicals added to the water that create that level CC when tested.

Last edited:
Have you added anything at all other than liquid chlorine to your water recently?

EDIT: sorry, saw you already answered a similar question, but if anything pops in to your mind that you forgot please let us know. Also, just to confirm this isn't a common mistake, you are ending the test immediately after it turns clear, correct? If you leave it sit after it turns clear it will return to pink and some people keep going, but that's normal and the test is over after you get to clear.

Last edited:

Reactions: mknauss

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Have you added anything at all other than liquid chlorine to your water recently?

EDIT: sorry, saw you already answered a similar question, but if anything pops in to your mind that you forgot please let us know. Also, just to confirm this isn't a common mistake, you are ending the test immediately after it turns clear, correct? If you leave it sit after it turns clear it will return to pink and some people keep going, but that's normal and the test is over after you get to clear.
I added some extra bags of dichlor because I was out of the liquid chlorine

I’ve done the test many many times. Yeah, it definitely stayed Pink until I got to about 25 drops. I cleaned the tester out with tap water and reran the test with new samples and got the same result

JamesW linked to your thread from last year. Sulfamic Acid will show as CC for a very long time.

Why use that stuff? You just need to manage your pool water chemistry. And not add any thing with copper in it.

Ok. Wow. Last time I used the Jacks stuff it didn’t seem to take that long for the readings to show correctly. That’s really annoying but I guess I’ll ignore it for now and just make sure the FC is showing up and not depleting irregularly

In your last thread, you indicated you used jacks in September and it was still causing high cc's in May. If you used it again this May, you'll probably be dealing with the same issue through the end of the year.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.