Vermiculite base

Jun 23, 2017
Science hill/ky
Hello I recently had a new above ground pool installed by a pool dealership. They used a vermiculite base when installing the pool. They didn't mix the vermiculite with anything. They just poured the bags in dry and smoothed it out some. Now my pool floor is very mushy and even walking results in foot prints. It also has lots of small wrinkles. I have also noticed 3 rocks have already surfaced and threatening to puncture the liner. The pool store says all this is normal. I'm new to pools and don't really have much knowledge. Does this sound like a normal install? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thank you for your response. They told me rocks were beyond their control and they are not responsible for them. I payed over 7000 dollars for this pool and it has all these flaws in the first month. I just didn't want to get to out of line with complaining without knowing if was poor installation or just an uncontrollable misfortune.

Vermiculite can't be put in dry, it has to be mixed with cement and water.

Some vermicuite comes premixed with cement, but you still have to mix it with water and trowel it and let it set up.

Thanks all. Sounds like I got a bad install :(. The installed didn't mix it with water at all. The installer even wore a dust mask to keep from breathing in dust as he smoothed it out with a push broom. It's now full of wrinkles and foot prints. Very disappointed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.