variable vs single speed

I was told that if pump is changed, controller can be changed to any brand. I am open to any solution for my goal to have a variable speed pump and wifi controller. Appreciate it.
Not exactly correct. The Jandy AquaLink RS system can control both Jandy and Pentair (IntelliFlo specifically) pumps. I am not sure what a Pentair or Hayward system can control. however, if you ever go to a SWCG system then that mfg. of both SWCG and Automation needs to be the same.

How much are you willing to spend for an automation? It appears you were just trying to upgrade the older Z-4 unit with similar capabilities.

Reactions: Giri
Can you post a picture of your equipment pad that shows all of the plumbing? Automation that controls a Pool AND a SPA means it will activate automated (motorized) valves, bump heat to SPA heat setting and perhaps a few other SPA only functions. If you don't have or don't want any of those, then you can just get the basic automation that controls your pump and a few other things.
Here are the photos. Appreicate it.

1697577591031.jpeg

1697577609964.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: newdude
Not exactly correct. The Jandy AquaLink RS system can control both Jandy and Pentair (IntelliFlo specifically) pumps. I am not sure what a Pentair or Hayward system can control. however, if you ever go to a SWCG system then that mfg. of both SWCG and Automation needs to be the same.

How much are you willing to spend for an automation? It appears you were just trying to upgrade the older Z-4 unit with similar capabilities.
I don't mind spending $2500. I am fine a more if it helps. I really don't have any idea about the range. What is SWCG? We are in Tampa and can ask a couple of quotes. My motor is making some sound and was told it may have bearings. Plan to get ready before break or at the break to change to the right system.

What SWCG do you have? That may dictate what automation to purchase. Need mfg and model number. Thanks.
I wrote down what I have here. Does Jandy Pro Truclear 11p my SWCG? Sorry. I really don't know if I am missing. I am just guessing logically this is what SWCG.

Jandy Pool and spa air blower Model PSB210
Zodiac rated HP X S.F = Total Motor HP 1.5X 1.10 = 1.65 Model 193986XCN(Century Centurion Switchless motor) FHPM1.5
Jandy Aqualink Z4
Jandy Pro Truclear 11P
Jandy Pro Pool/Spa filter Model CS100
Jandy Pro pool & SPA heater JXI260N
Jandy Pro 18 channel RF Trnsceiver R0686300(For Aqualink 17 channel handheld wireles remote)
Aqualnk Jany Pro R0687300 Remote

I am going to Leslie pools today and ask for options. My pump is making different noises and hoping we have enough time before it breaks. Appreciate any recommendations.
Have an audio recording of the noise? Maybe a new pump is not needed.

I am going to Leslie pools today and ask for options. My pump is making different noises and hoping we have enough time before it breaks. Appreciate any recommendations.
You may want to lean towards Jandy VS pump because of your automation and SWCG.
Suggest that you obtain a bid from Pinch a Penny pool store as well if they are nearby.
Also, check for rebates from your electricity provider and or at the store. I remember when I replaced my single speed, I got $300 discount from electrical provider and another $300 in a rebate to use at the pool store (Pinch a Penny). That suppled my liquid chlorine (using that at the time) and acid for the year.

Reactions: Mdragger88 and Giri

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Suggest that you obtain a bid from Pinch a Penny pool store as well if they are nearby.
Also, check for rebates from your electricity provider and or at the store. I remember when I replaced my single speed, I got $300 discount from electrical provider and another $300 in a rebate to use at the pool store (Pinch a Penny). That suppled my liquid chlorine (using that at the time) and acid for the year.

Good call on the rebate, I got $400 with mine (direct from power company).

Here...

Reactions: Mdragger88
Have an audio recording of the noise? Maybe a new pump is not needed.
Thanks. I checked and TECO energy(Tampa) is giving $350 rebate for Energy Star VS pump.
For automation to make it wifi, is it fine to pay for new antenna for $700 and display board $800 as it is getting broken? It is only 4 years old. Not sure if the problem with the display board happens again after 4 years. That is not good.

Thanks. I checked and TECO energy(Tampa) is giving $350 rebate for Energy Star VS pump.
For automation to make it wifi, is it fine to pay for new antenna for $700 and display board $800 as it is getting broken? It is only 4 years old. Not sure if the problem with the display board happens again after 4 years. That is not good.
It would be in your best interst to get at least two separate bids to do this work.
How was it determined you need a new antenna and display board?

Fill out your signature with pool, pool equipment (including manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
This assists us in providing you with help specific to your pool without needing to ask you each time.

Last edited:
It would be in your best interst to get at least two separate bids to do this work.
How was it determined you need a new antenna and display board?

Fill out your signature with pool, pool equipment (including manufacturers and model numbers) and test kit info.
This assists us in providing you with help specific to your pool without needing to ask you each time.
I filled signature now. Rightnow, we don't have wifi control so they quoted for antenna. The display board plastic is already broken as shown here. But if I have wifi control, I may not need to worry about display board. Hoping pool service(Pinch a Penny) able to use it for their service.

1698164496044.jpeg

I went to Leslie Pools. They gave a quote of $1399 for a Jandy 1.65 hp variable speed pump. But they said it is wifi and it may not work with my setup. They are not sure. They said they could order a non-wifi pump.

It seems it is not easy on how pool stuff is compatible. I went to Pinch a Penny, but the person who knows was not available, and plan to go tomorrow. Appreciate any thoughts.

I went to Leslie Pools. They gave a quote of $1399 for a Jandy 1.65 hp variable speed pump. But they said it is wifi and it may not work with my setup. They are not sure. They said they could order a non-wifi pump.

It seems it is not easy on how pool stuff is compatible. I went to Pinch a Penny, but the person who knows was not available, and plan to go tomorrow. Appreciate any thoughts.
This is off of the Jandy website.
The VS FloPro™ 1.65 HP comes with optional preinstalled SpeedSet™ Controller for fast and easy programming and can be used in conjunction with the iQPUMP01 or any AquaLink® automation system for convenient pump control through the iAquaLink® app.
It would be best to have a specific model number of the VS pump to determine connectivity.

The VS Jandy pumps require some external control (unless the pump will accept the SpeedSet™ Controller) which mounts to the pump. Jandy also developed the iQpump01 controller which provides wifi connection. However it only controls the pump - no other equipment or valves. This is a very simple automation to control the pump remotely. It can also connect to a AquaLink automation system. I am familiar with the RS system which is their top of line. I think this why the pool rep could not confirm if the ZX or the new TCX automation would control the pump. BTW - according to the spec sheet - the TCX automation is only good with a POOL only setup. You indicate having a spa. It is feasible that the ZX may control the pump - there is no current info on ZX as it has been discontinued.

Reactions: Mdragger88
This is off of the Jandy website.
The VS FloPro™ 1.65 HP comes with optional preinstalled SpeedSet™ Controller for fast and easy programming and can be used in conjunction with the iQPUMP01 or any AquaLink® automation system for convenient pump control through the iAquaLink® app.
It would be best to have a specific model number of the VS pump to determine connectivity.

The VS Jandy pumps require some external control (unless the pump will accept the SpeedSet™ Controller) which mounts to the pump. Jandy also developed the iQpump01 controller which provides wifi connection. However it only controls the pump - no other equipment or valves. This is a very simple automation to control the pump remotely. It can also connect to a AquaLink automation system. I am familiar with the RS system which is their top of line. I think this why the pool rep could not confirm if the ZX or the new TCX automation would control the pump. BTW - according to the spec sheet - the TCX automation is only good with a POOL only setup. You indicate having a spa. It is feasible that the ZX may control the pump - there is no current info on ZX as it has been discontinued.
Thanks for the detailed reply. I went to Pinch a Penny He gave these quotes

RS + 1.85 hp for $4200 or RS + 2.7 dual voltage for $4600.

I find my neighbor has colorful lights. I liked it and mine is not colorful. He said he would charge around $600 for each one to change to Jandy color lights and we do have 3. I need to decide on it. With lights and 1.85hp and RS it would be $6200.

Is it worth 2.7 vs 1.8hp? I need to decide by evening to sign up. Appreciate it.

I really don't know why the the previous installer recommended $800 for the display and $700 for the antenna when I can get RS system for a couple of hundred more with 3 year warrany.

Last edited:
Is it worth 2.7 vs 1.8hp? I need to decide by evening to sign up. Appreciate it.
The higher HP motor will serve you better in the long run. With a VS pump, the lower your can run it (low rpm) the less energy is used. So a 2.7 pump will use less energy at a given speed vs the 1.8 hp pump moving the same amount of water.

You may want to search the forum on the lights - there are mixed reviews on the longivity of the lights.

A RS AquaLink system is very good, come back here if you have questions on that.

Reactions: Giri

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.