Variable Speed Question

daveturn33

May 10, 2024
I have to replace an older 2 hp single speed Super Flo pump that's shot and I have a question regarding the viability of a VSP. I have a 42,000 gallon pool with 2" piping and an estimated TDH of 55. I have an attached spillover spa that has a separate pump for jets and a Polaris 280 with it's own booster.

Looking at various VSPs, it appears I would need to run the pump at higher rpms for 10 or 12 hours (70 gpm or 58 gpm respectively plus or minus) to get 1 turn over. With the single speed, the rpms are similar, and my Aqualink shuts the pump down for about 9 hours overnight.

Am I looking at this the wrong way or is the benefit of a VSP not as great in my situation? Based on various flow charts considering the TDH, I would probably need something around 3 hp that would run for hours like the 2 hp single speed. I need some help on this.

Thanks in advance all.

Welcome to the forum!
Turnover is meaningless. Chemistry keeps the pool clear. The filter is there to clear the pool from the stuff that falls in it.
You run the pump for a reason. Without a SWCG, you need to run it when you add your liquid chlorine each day and to skim the surface.
I would suggest you look at a 3 hp VS pump. Such as the Pentair Intelliflo3. You will be able to run the pump at a low rpm and save on electricity and it will be very quiet.
I suggest you read through Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool

Welcome to the forum!
Turnover is meaningless. Chemistry keeps the pool clear. The filter is there to clear the pool from the stuff that falls in it.
You run the pump for a reason. Without a SWCG, you need to run it when you add your liquid chlorine each day and to skim the surface.
I would suggest you look at a 3 hp VS pump. Such as the Pentair Intelliflo3. You will be able to run the pump at a low rpm and save on electricity and it will be very quiet.
I suggest you read through Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool
Ok thanks. The discussions, even on pump seller sites, focus on ideal turnover per day so it's a little confusing what to focus on. I understand what you're saying and it makes some sense although I think my filter is far oversized if that's the philosophy.

The discussions, even on pump seller sites, focus on ideal turnover per day so it's a little confusing what to focus on.
They also tell you to run 1 to 3 FC. You can lose 4 per day in the peak season, but OK. :ROFLMAO:

They don't even know what they don't even know.

Get a large pump which will move the same water at a lower RPM. (cheaper). The name of the game with VS pumps is to run as low as performs the function you need, such as skimming. 1200 rpms probably works for 110W.