Variable-speed pump

You could buy the VS for about $300 less. It does not have the programming of the VF. Nor, does the VS show you the flow rates. You can check the VS and the VF out on Pentair's website.

And the requirement for a separate controller (that I mentioned earlier) was to meet the state requirements for a rebate. Here in California, there is a $100 rebate for variable speed pumps. That $100 applies to the VF and VS+SVRS pumps (no additional controller needed for the rebate). If you want the rebate for the simpliest VS3050, you have to also buy an eligible controller for it.

Click on the links for the pumps, one link for the VF, one link for the VS3050 and VS+SVRS. Brochures and manuals for each. http://www.pentairpool.com/pool-owner/s ... und-43.htm

Jeff

dalehileman said:
But from what you and others report it appears we don't have much choice,, we might have to accept it in that form, while the idea of microelectronics in the Mojave Desert, hot sun beating down ten hours a day on a metallic housing,, saturated humidity to boot, just positively appalls me

The VF does have a cooling fan but I would provide shade for it. Mine is located under a deck and never has any sun on it. I have heard/read that it is better to shield it from heavy rain and sprinkler systems too. Luckily my deck lets little water fall on it but there is a birdbath right above it on the deck. When I clean and refresh the bb daily I just make sure the water sprays away from the pump.

On another note. I have some security cameras that are in full Texas sizzling heat and sun all day. They make camera housings that have cooling fans for outdoor cameras (ones with heaters for cold climates too). With all my pumping station shaded I can surely see the difference between my equipment and pipes compared to others, even those that don't have nearly the age on them as mine, although the VF and Quad filter are new this year. We did move the Quad filter up on a step, out from under the deck, a few feet from the rest of pad, for vertical clearance, but I've covered it with a nice cover made for round smokers that cost less than $30. Some of my remaining original pvc looks pristine too; hardly a difference between it and the new 2" pipes we ran when we installed the new pump and filter early spring 2010.

I would most certainly advise giving all the equipment shade.

gg=alice

I'm running mine at 19 gpm, 21/7 no cover. As far as keeping surface cleared I think a huge factor is getting the return adjusted just right. My Pool skim catches most of the dog hair/bugs/plant debris; skimmer does a great job with the finest stuff. Hardly ever see much of anything floating on surface (in "normal" conditions). Two of the return eyeballs are reduced in size for sufficient flow to small fountain and Pool Skim. One of the returns in shallow end (Pool Skim directly across pool from that return) has sufficient flow to move water around pool shallow end (fountains on shallow end wall so doesn't really direct water flow) toward Pool Skim, counter clockwise pattern. Pool Skim picks up the flow from that return and sends a large quantity of water in the direction of skimmer in deep end, still counter clockwise. The other return, deep end, directly across from skimmer, is set clock wise, to direct the deep end water to skimmer. If I set is just right it keeps fine debris from passing by the skimmer and keeps anything from collecting at the very end.

gg=alice

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.