Variable speed pump run times

Rick T

Apr 28, 2019
Houston, TX
I have a Pentair IntellifloXF. I currently run it at 2900 RPM for about 10 hours a day (9am-7pm). I have a raised hot tub with a water spout/fall that I want to have the proper flow as well as circulate the pool. I was considering running the pump at a lower setting, maybe at 1000 RPM, for a few hours after 7pm just to keep the pool circulating. The water spout/fall would only trickle over at that rate but that late in the evening it doesn't matter. Any thoughts or inputs on what you guys do? Thanks.

Rick,

It is really a personal kind of thing... I run my pump 24/7, while others here only run their pumps for 3 or 4 hours a day.

Depending on how you chlorinate your pool, running you spa waterfall all the time will really cause your pH to increase..

Tell us why you run the spillover for so long? Do you just like it, or are you trying to accomplish something specific?

What is your goal for wanting to run at a low speed at night?

Do you have an automation system?

Thanks,

Jim R.

I do not have an automatic system. All valves have to be moved manually. If I want to keep the hot tub chlorinated then I have to run it too and I'm too lazy to move the valves daily after about 3 hours. Unless I'm not thinking of a different way. I currently have the spa return line closed, meaning all water that goes into the spa flows over the spill line into the pool. In the past, I used to open the return a little, but in the morning before the pumps came back on I noticed the water level in the spa had dropped by over a foot as to try to equalize/level with the pool water level. Any thoughts or recommendations? Thanks.

Rick,

Without automation, the best bet is doing what you are doing.. If this were my pool I would try running the spillover at 1500, or so, RPM and see what happens.. I would let it run for a day and then test the FC level of the pool water and the spa water.. If they were basically the same then I'd keep it at 1500.. If there was a large difference in the FC readings, I'd increase the speed and retest until the difference went away..

But again, that is just me... Whatever works best for you and your pool is what you should be doing.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I used to run it at 2700 RPM, but I felt the water coming out of the pool jets was minimal/insufficient. I increased it to 2900 RPM and closed the feed to the spa a tiny bit in hope of having the same volume of water going to the spa and the rest as an increase in the pool jet pressure. Seems to be working so far. If I bring it down to 1000 RPM for evening/night time I have 2 questions. 1: Is that a waste of energy? 2: As the water trickles down the side of the spa into the pool will it eventually leave watermarks/stains on the flagstone?

1. Technically yes, but would you even know if it added $6 (or less) to your electric bill

2. What jim said

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.