Variable Speed Pump Recommendation Please

Mandy

Silver Supporter
Jul 5, 2017
Dubbo Australia
Due to high running costs we want to replace our existing single speed pump for a variable speed pump. We are aware our existing pump is too powerful for our pool however at the time it was purchased we thought we had a 45,000 litre pool. Based on our pool specs in my signature can someone please suggest what would be the best VS pump option for us in Australia?

I was told by another pool owner with a VS pump that he needs to backwash prior to increasing the speed of his pump otherwise dirt gets blown back into his pool via the return jets. Is this normal?

Also, can someone please confirm if our current over-sized pump is the reason our sand filter has not been able to capture fine dust? I'm thinking the water is moving too fast through the filter and am hoping a VS pump running at lower RPM's will allow the filter to do a better job.

Advice would be welcome, thank you.

The favorite pump on this forum is the Pentair Intelliflo VS.
Looks like it costs about AU$1500 - Pentair Intelliflo VS Variable Speed Pool Pump

I am a new pool owner, so I don't know much. But yes, I believe your filter works more effectively if the flow rate is lower and within the filter's recommended flow rate range.

No idea about the dirt getting blown out, but I am sure someone more knowledgeable will chime in shortly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.