Variable speed pump - plumbing layout

pumori

May 3, 2015
Concord, MA
I have an older pool (~25,000 gal) with a DE filter, newish Pentair gas heater and a Caretaker system. The old single speed pump died and I replaced it with a variable speed Pentair Intelliflo pump. I tied this in exactly as the previous pump and have a question about the plumbing layout. Output from the pump goes directly into the filter and from there it splits between the heater and returns to the pool. The water return is through the Caretaker valve to the in-floor pop-ups and there are two in-wall returns as well.
In all of the layouts that I've looked at all of the filter output moves directly to the heater and any splitting for returns is after the heater (i.e., pump -> filter -> heater -> returns).
The heads on the Caretaker popups were recently replaced when I replastered and have the lower resistance springs that are supposed to be compatible with variable speed pumps. The problem that I have is that I can't lower the pump speed very much while the heater is in use without the heater tripping an overtemp and shutting down. I assume this is due to the low rate. It seems that this is likely compounded by splitting after the filter so that only some of the return flow is directed to the heater.
Is this the likely cause? Should I be able to run the heater while at lower speeds (how low)? Should I have this system replumbed to have the return split after the heater?
Thanks!

Is this the likely cause? Should I be able to run the heater while at lower speeds (how low)? Should I have this system replumbed to have the return split after the heater?
Thanks!

Yes, Yes & Yes.

Carretaker installation manuals are here --> Downloads - Caretaker

They show the caretaker system being at the end after the heater.

my 266k btu raypak growls if its not running around 2000 rpms and will throw an overheat at lower speeds. if you have flow bypassing the heater you are not getting enough flow. there is an internal bypass in some heaters but that wouldnt come into play in your situation. Id say get rid of the bypass line to the popups and go direct to heater then to pool as ajw22 suggests

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.