Valve is toast - is this what I need?

primuspaul

Sep 3, 2018
NYC area
Genuine Hayward Backwash valve Top Key Cover Assembly Spx0710xBA17 SP710 SP711 | eBay

From what I can tell (it's so old, the sticker with the model # is coming off), it's a Hayward Variflo Valve Model SP710 (X32?). It's barely turning (requiring great force and yes we always turn off the pump before switching) and is leaking to the waste opening even when in filter mode. I assume the internal components are toast. Is the above item what I need? I can't tell if it's just the cover or if it includes the "guts" that are broken in my part.

Edit: I assume I need this thing, too: 5 Spoke Spider Gasket Replacement For Hayward Vari-Flo Valve SPX0710XD O-176A | eBay

If you can share a few pictures of the pump, someone might be able to help verify or point you in the right direction :)

@primuspaul is trying to fix a Hayward 5 way backwash valve, not a pump. Pics never hurt. He is assuming the “internal components are toast” but he will only find out the situation by opening it up.

Reactions: splashpad
@primuspaul is trying to fix a Hayward 5 way backwash valve, not a pump. Pics never hurt. He is assuming the “internal components are toast” but he will only find out the situation by opening it up.
Thanks for catching that, I was going between a couple threads :) I was on mobile at the time and didn't get a chance to google the equipment.

Try the gasket/seal replacement first - grit on the seal surfaces is usually what causes the valve to be difficult to turn and leak some. If that doesn't work, you can get the entire new valve for about $80 if you search the internet carefully.

Try the gasket/seal replacement first - grit on the seal surfaces is usually what causes the valve to be difficult to turn and leak some. If that doesn't work, you can get the entire new valve for about $80 if you search the internet carefully.
$80? I saw it for $135.
Hayward Multiport Sand Filter Valve SP710X32 1.5" 610377034975 | eBay
That I think is the right thing. The previous item I posted is just the top section. I'll probably take it apart this weekend to see what's wrong and if it's worth salvaging.

Found a used, like new one for $45 here:
Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Hayward SPX0710X32 Side Mount Valve Replacement for Hayward Multiport and Sand Filter Valves
Anyone know what the "X0" means? Is it still compatible with what I have?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.