Vacuuming to waste

Jul 10, 2015
Blackstone, MA
I am trying to get my pool nice and clean and needing to vacuum to waste due to the amount of leaves and sediment, if I dont the water comes right back into the pool filthy.

1. Is There potentially something wrong with my filter that it is not filtering the water when I vacuum or pretty normal considering how dirty it is?

2. How does anyone get more than 1/4 to a half of their pool vacuumed without losing so much water you can’t vacuum anymore? It’s driving my nuts cause I feel like I can’t make solid progress and have to stop and wait for my hose to refil which takes hours :mad:

Any suggestions? Thanks!

1 - Hard to tell without knowing more about your equipment (signature not filled in) and water chemistry results from a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C. No doubt dirtier water will clog-up a filter quicker. Your filter PSI gauge should be an indicator.
2 - If you don't have a main drain, then you're limited to how much you can vacuum at once before it gets low at the skimmer.

I have a Hayward 2-hp sand filter/pump with a 30,000 gallon vinyl chlorine pool. We have a main drain I think, that's the drain at the deep end right? It is currently open, how do I use that to help? The PSI definitely gets very high when I vacuum.

I can post chemistry results later when I am back home! Thanks.

If you have a lot of leaves on the pool floor you should use a pool rake/net to scoop them out first. It will take forever to vacuum out heavy debris and you run the risk of clogging your suction line with debris. Once all the solids have been scooped out you can vacuum out the fine debris. Anytime your filter is returning dirty water to the pool there is a problem. When was the last time the filter was deep cleaned? While it is open for deep cleaning check the o-rings and spider gasket and make sure they are in good condition. The spider gasket should be tight to the valve and not worn down.

Yes, I have tried to get most of the leaves out but there are some. It's mostly dirt. This is only our second year of owning the house with this pool, we were told when we bought it the pump was brand new, so I guess it has never been deep cleaned in, say 3 years? How often should you do it and do you have a link to how to do it?

Thank you so much for your help!

You say it is mostly dirt. Are you sure it is not algae? You might be bordering on an algae outbreak, but have just enough chlorine to fend it off. You might be in need of a SLAM. Of course, it might just be dirt.

When my pool is very dirty, this is my process. I use the leaf rake to pick up as many big thigns as I can. I then vacuum to waste only the worst areas left in eth pool. Then I swich the valve and wacuuum to filter after that. This way I am only sending to waste for maybe 2 minutes to limit my water loss.

We have been SLAM-ing since Saturday! Water is blue and almost clear but not sparkling. Lots of debris on floor.

Great idea with only vacuuming to waste for worst parts!

Good to know we should deep clean the filter. Will do that this weekend! Anyone have some good instructions? Thank you!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.