Vacuum to waste with cartridge filter system

PoolMinn

Apr 28, 2022
Minnesota
Purchased house with pool, just opened this week. I am wondering if I am able to vacuum to waste with my pool filter, there is a spout where you can drain water out of filter but I’m not sure if I can vacuum to waste using it. I have attached pictures. If I can do any certain valves need to be turned? What should I set the pump at? image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    827.3 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    755.8 KB · Views: 18
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    677.2 KB · Views: 19
Possibly. Maybe they just slipped it over the drain pipe and the flow did the rest.

Start as low as you can with the hose hooked up. If it mostly goes out the hose, ramp it up 100 rpms at a time until vacuuming speed. I think I used 1750 if it helps all pools being different and whatnot. The first time is just a test to see if it will work how you want it to. After that you can just go right to the vac speed and get to it.

You have to be pretty quick because you'll lose water. You can delay being too low to vac a little bit by having a hose adding at the same time, but you'll outpace the hose by alot.

You can cheat by using the broom to sweep the bulk of the pool to one general area and then only have to vac that area. With some trial and error, you'll find the intensity to move any dirt/ pollen without just stirring it up. You never get all of it but it settles quick. Come back in 5 mins and brush it again. Not too hard either or the cloud will keep going well past your target area and all up the far wall. But with a couple of passes and really not much time, you can have it down to just a small area and then vac that to waste. I did this many times and it kept the filter clean and the pool brushed.

Start as low as you can with the hose hooked up. If it mostly goes out the hose, ramp it up 100 rpms at a time until vacuuming speed. I think I used 1750 if it helps all pools being different and whatnot. The first time is just a test to see if it will work how you want it to. After that you can just go right to the vac speed and get to it.

You have to be pretty quick because you'll lose water. You can delay being too low to vac a little bit by having a hose adding at the same time, but you'll outpace the hose by alot.

You can cheat by using the broom to sweep the bulk of the pool to one general area and then only have to vac that area. With some trial and error, you'll find the intensity to move any dirt/ pollen without just stirring it up. You never get all of it but it settles quick. Come back in 5 mins and brush it again. Not too hard either or the cloud will keep going well past your target area and all up the far wall. But with a couple of passes and really not much time, you can have it down to just a small area and then vac that to waste. I did this many times and it kept the filter clean and the pool brushed.
Thank you, your advice is very much appreciated!

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.