Vacuum & Skimmer Advise

TexasGal007 said:
I'm thinking....hmmmmmm wonder what I did with those 2 rubber thingies? Hopefully in the box in the utility shed.... I'm still :? confused however. Where is the anti suction valve? I'm a Texan so I'm familliar with "fixn" stuff with my trusty "DUCK" tape as we call it here in da Souff... but where are you putting the tape? I was still deciding what to drill and how many holes..... :hammer:

Thank the Lawd I purchased a Catfish battery operated vacuum to keep me busy while I'm trying to fix the other vacuum issue. Is it Margarita time yet? :cheers:

Please forgive my blondness...

Billie, look at the picture of the Intex valves above. The anti-suction valve is the small nubby thing sticking up between the taller shutoff and the horizontal nut that screws onto the pool's fittings. It has a slightly flat, slightly indented top that allows air into the system if too much vacuum pressure is detected (or so I'm guessing). Still looking for my caps.

I was able to give it a try and the vacuum worked much better than before, allowing me to shut off almost completely the skimmer while the vacuum was connected to the original Intex outlet with the blue hose connector. I did also drill the connector with six 3/16" holes. All seemed fine until I managed to collapse my vacuum hose, which is actually a sump pump hose! Might be in the market for a new one or just wait until I get an automatic cleaner next season.

0002555165430_500X500.jpg

A vacuum hose is designed for the suction on the inside of the walls. A normal hose is designed for pressure.

You can get vacuum hoses at Wal_amrt and other box stores.

This one is about $20

I think you still have air in your hose when you attach it. I was having the same issue until I figured out how get all the air out of the hose before hooking it up. Once the pump sucks air, its prime is lost almost instantly.
I put the entire hose and vacuum head into the pool, and with the head towards the bottom of the pool, I spin it in gentle circles. This forces the air out of the hose after a few turns. Then you need to keep the head and the open end of the hose under the water and hook it up to your intake.
Works for me everytime and my $20 vacuum head works just great.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.