Vacuum recommendation for clearing out floc and general maintenance

jsteinm1

Apr 22, 2023
Nebraska
This is year 2 of pool ownership for us and trying to get things working better. Before I found this lovely website I put in floc (I know, I know) as part of a startup kit. There is a lot of sediment on the bottom that the cheapo garden hose vac we have doesn't get. I have a new 16" sand filter to replace the undersized 1500GPH cartridge filter it came with, and it seems like it'd be best to clear out the floc before using my new filter - which seems like a vacuum is in order.

I'm trying to avoid spending a bunch on a vacuum like a blaster since I'm already into a new filter this year -- but I wanna get the right stuff so if that's what it takes so be it. It seems that I would need either one of those battery powered vacs like the pool blaster or a manual head / vacuum hose if my 1500GPH filter has enough suction to operate it (or I can hook up the sand filter and vac to waste). From experienced owners, is it worth getting a manual vac or should I really look to getting a battery one? I can see dragging out the vac hose and all that to vacuum being a much bigger hassle than grabbing a battery vac.

IMO manual vacs can be invaluable when you need to use them. I have used a manual vac quite a few times on our last pool that had an EZ Vac suction cleaner. I would try and vacuum to waste, your going to lose water, refill and continue. Try not to disturb the bottom when you vacuum and fill, I would also vacuum from outside the pool. I'm not familiar with intex pools but if they have an eyeball at the return have that not shoot toward the bottom.

Something that may work if the pool is round is get the water swirling around and maybe the stuff ends up in the center. This happens all the time in my AG round pool and makes picking up debris easier. I have never flocked a pool so it may not work as I think.

Thanks for the advice, to make sure I understand the terms, when you say "manual vac" is that specifically the type that connect to the filter with a hose? Or does that term also include the battery powered cordless ones like a pool blaster? I'm still trying to come up to speed with the different terms.

There have been times when we've had to use a floc of sorts. But as VinnyinNJ said, the key is to vacuum to waste! Fill your pool quite high, so you have water to dump. Once all the particulate has settled on the bottom, put your vacuum head/in as carefully as you can (yes, the water will blow it around a bit). Then vacuum as quickly as you can, keeping an eye on the water level. If you weren't able to get all the 'stuff', you'll need to add water, let it settle out again (no filter running), and finish vacuuming. We have an above ground pool/vinyl liner and just have one of those triangle shaped vac heads, and it works fine removing it. Key is to pump to waste!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.