Vacuum for Intex Above Ground Pool

rj2222

Jun 11, 2012
Michigan
Have an Intex AGP with the 1500Gph Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump (28635EG).

My only gripe I've ever had is with cleaning the bottom of the pool of dirt that blew in. The included vacuum you hook up to your hose is really more for getting bigger things like leaves, as the dirt just blows back through the mesh catcher and into the water, hopefully sucked up by the pump through the skimmer basket. not sure how efficient that actually is for the dirt on the bottom.

Anyone have any recommendations for a vacuum based on my pool and filter pump? Something that will actually capture the little granular stuff from the bottom rather than just spreading it around.

Intex Auto Cleaner. It attaches to the return. I love this thing. Haven’t had to vacuum pool in about 3 years!

A53F3CDB-621C-492A-BD65-1F445030A51A.jpg

Yep, scoots around due to water propulsion and sucks up stuff. I clean it out about once a week. I like that none of the stuff ever goes to the filter.

I just leave it attached. I turn pump off before I get in, so I just scoot it over by the stairs so it doesn’t get in my way, and set it on the stairs to clean it.

Also, you might be interested in putting a hairnet in your skimmer. Catches all the tiny stuff that would otherwise flow through. I use these:

Hairnets

This sounds right up my alley then. So I'm guessing it just has a compartment you have to empty week, as opposed to it having a filter too?

and this is probably a stupid question, but how does it actually go around the whole pool to clean the entire bottom? does it have like sensors in it or something?

Never even thought about hairnets, how brilliant!

Yep, it has a little gizmo inside that tells it when to eject water from one side and then switch to the other. This is what propels it around the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just looked at your pump. Auto cleaner is rated for 1600 to 3500 GPH, so yours is a bit weak, but at that price I would give it a shot. Up to you, of course!

I’m the adventurous sort, so I’d give it a try. But if that makes you nervous, you could seek out a better vacuum. I don’t use them so can’t recommend any.

But, when you do vacuum, get in and run around in a circle a few times (or get kids to do). Debris will settle in the middle of pool when whirlpool settles, so it is easier to vacuum!

Read the reviews I'm sure people have tried it with lower pumps. No reason for you to waste your money experimenting if others already have tried.

Another option is an electric robot which seems to be where pool cleaning is headed. Self contained so doesn't use your pump at all. Not cheap though. Pool Rover Jr is probably the cheapest of those. Dolphin E10/A10 is maybe next. maybe read up on those.

Thanks. maybe i'll give it a try. even if it only works at 50%, maybe that is better than nothing. and that's a good price. I've seen some fancier ones that were WAY more expensive than that.
With a too small pump, it won't move. It is propelled by the force of the water from the pump. I had a 1600 gph pump and it just barely worked with that. When I upgraded to a 4500 gph pump, I had to install a valve to shut down the flow otherwise it just did wheelies around the pool and wouldn't pick anything up.

But with the proper flow, it worked great!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.